Guidance for database interface and inserting objects

tryingmybest

I am working with some database/programmers, but we don't quite know how to go about creating something really clever, but think it is possible. Any advice would help!

We would like to be able to place autocad objects from a database reference. ie - place "circle object" at x,y coordinates on drawing "abcd.dwg". The database will determine what object type and the coordinates, go through a routine, and voila - we have a drawing that contains all the objects in the right place, and layer, with attributes.

Our people have worked with Intergraph CADWorks and are manipulating data on the drawings, but do not have any idea of how to go beyond that and do what we want mentioned above. Talking to the CADWorks tech support didn't seem to help, so I don't think we can do it through their program. We would consider writing custom code to achieve our goals. Is this possible to do? I would think so...

What general steps should we take, books to read, tutorials to review? Do we somehow link SQL database to a VB program and use autoLisp?

I am not an AutoCAD user, but our team uses it and I am an influence to the direction of this development initiative. So whatever input you provide, I will share with them.

Thanks for your help!