Rotate Drawing to be Correct with the X/Y axis

Casio47

Hello,

I have a 2D drawing, which was drafted at an angle (don't ask why, I have no clue) and not perpendicular / parallel to the X/Y axis.

I used the Rotate function, and "eyeballed" it to be correct with the X/Y axis.

How can I Rotate the drawing, to be exactly Correct...or perpendicular / parallel to the X/Y axis, if I don't know what the drawing angle was when originally drafted?

Thanks

Are you certain the drawing is rotated... perhaps only the UCS had been rotated? Either way, it sounds like it's not aligned with anything except for "eyeballing"

Easiest fix is to select everything in the drawing, Start the ROTATE command, Pick a basepoint when prompted, Command line will now display the option to rotate with [R]eference. Type "R" pick one end of a line that you want to be aligned orthogonally, then pick the other end as prompted. Enter the new angle. (ie 0, 90, 180,270)

Architects like to draw the house in its correct alignment to North, so that things like solar gain can be dealt with properly.

But when setting out the house on site, it is easier to use a grid which is orthogonal to the building. I insert the architects drawing as an x-ref, and then rotate the whole lot and move it so that the coordinate numbers are easier to use. I am of the old school where this was done manually. Nowadays, the whole drawing can be inserted into the surveying instrument, and one doesn't need all the set-up work.

Consider using the ALIGN command. It is much easier than rotate and move. Make sure the WCS is active first.

Command: ALIGN

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects:

Specify first source point:

Specify first destination point: 0,0

Specify second source point:

Specify second destination point: 1,0

Specify third source point or :

Specify third destination point: 0,1

You orient your UCS parallel to the object in the drawing, and then use the command "Plan".

I would suggest you not do this, and before you follow any of the other suggestions make certain that your UCS is set to world.

(sorry guran, I'm not trying to pick on you)

Well, there isn't any harm in working in a custom UCS, but it sounds like the OP already changed the orientation at least once, so at this point, I would agree that it's probably just as well to align the model with the WCS.

I would agree with you nestly if one knows about the consequence of working with a drawing that is not aligned with the WCS, and the down line users of the drawing also do.

It is my guess that the OP may not be familiar with the consequences of certain actions (based on the attempt to 'eyeball" into alignment).

We do all our work at true orientation real world co-ordinates, so just create new UCS's as required but give them a name UCS S ROAD1 and as you say stuff like dims are nice and square, just do UCS W Plan and back to real world co-ords. UCS R ROAD1 PLAN back again. We never rotate or move the objects. We often get architect plans and its a pain as they have been scaled by 1000 for mm and lose the true co-ord of a control point and we work in metres.

Almost forgot if you use UCS OB simplest way to set a UCS and pick a existing line for your ortho direction make sure its not a 3d line. Simple way is draw a new line edit properties so Z's are 0.0 UCS OB L PLAN E L