Adding draft to solids

Ninoshka

The concept of adding draft is understood, but i'm need a few tutorials, or pointers on how to had draft to parts. I'm analyzing parts in AutoCAD mechanical or Inventor, open to suggestions. Could anyone point me in the direction, having to self teach myself at the moment. Not that we all don't do quite a bit of trial-n-error.

Okay, I have to be missing something simple. I have imported a STEP file from a customer and need to add draft to the part. I try to use SOLIDEDIT>TAPER>FACES, but I cannot select individual faces. How do I make the faces individual entities?

I imported a Step file into AutoCAD mechanical, and i'm not too sure if the model is a solid, it looks solid, but of course It would just be hollow. I was told to select the item, and look at the properties. What exactly will tell me if it is a solid or not, because I am having trouble finding it. SolidEDIT has not been working, so my assumption is that I do not have a solid. How can I convert it to a solid.

It should be called out right at the top of the Properties palette.

Note that if it is a block the words "No Selection" will appear where the words "3D Solid" are shown.

Properties-Solid.JPG

A solid does not necessarily have to be solid all the way through. A simple pipe, for instance, could still be a solid.

Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post. If the file size is too large use a file sharing website like Dropbox to make it available to anyone here who wishes to take a look. Just post back with a link.

STEP vs Solid.JPG

A threaded fitting. One is a Block; the other is a Solid. Can you tell which is which?

To go from the Block to the Solid you merely use the Explode command. Now you can use the solid editing tools on the object.

BTW...haven't you asked about this problem in two other threads?

• 2 weeks later...

SLW210, my apologies for multiple posts. ReMark, thanks for reminding me of EXPLODE. Issue was resolved using AutoCAD mechanical. I will say that Inventer, as seems a lot more straight forward, is more frustrating. It allows me to observe the part, draft and all, but adding the draft, just was not working with Inventor. Basic Taper is working best for now.