Display viewport area in drawing

OMEGA-ThundeR

Hello,

In my office we are having a discussion how we can show what we see in a certain viewport (paperspace) in the modelspace.

Some people just go in the active viewport and draw an line / rectangle near the edge of the viewport. Others copy the viewport line in paperspace and use 'chspace' to transfer it to the modelspace.

Without any special lisp, is there perhaps and built in option to show some sort of border line in the modelspace from a viewport in the paperspace.

We sometimes use this to add an overview of the whole project to show what part of an project is on what hardcopy (e.g. page 1 of 10 shows this part of an road on this drawing and the other part on drawing 3 of 10).

I often use the copy viewport line (using the rectangle command like Rob) and chspace approach myself.

I am pretty sure that there is no built in facility available in Autocad Vanilla to do this.

Edited by Dadgad

I don't know of any other option. We use it the other way as well, draw a polyline around an appartement in model space and then from the layout use chspace to bring it into the paperspace layout at the correct scale, and change it into a viewport with mview, same again for certain details, it's much easier than trying to get a viewport at the correct size first.

Another good approach but it comes down to which came first?

For most types of files, I usually set up sheets and viewports before anything is inserted.

Ok, you didn't have to take it literally that i 'chspace' a viewport, but indeed an extra drawn line/rectangle :).

But it seems i haven't missed any new features :).