What tool to use for this?

Sengna

Does anybody know which tool to use for what i want to do? I want to enclose this end of this part (see pic below), so that when i finish, i should have close end like very bottom picture (close red area). Should i start new skect and extrude it to close? I have a gut feeling that draft tool would give me what i need for this senario but i still play with this tool, please give me some suggestion. Thanks

S-Open.jpg

s-closed.jpg

Set your UCS to match the 3 points that appear square on the end then draw a closed pline and extrude say sheet metal thick 0.5mm then UCS W etc.

How do i set the UCS?

I always use the _ucs command, and then the _3 option. The it will ask you to select three points to set your new UCS: the origin, a point on the X Axis, and a point on the Y Axis. I'e never seen the "Create New Sketch" button that gbradley is showing you... but if you have it, that may be an easier option.

Sengna, your profile says you are using Autocad 2010, did you mean to post this in the INVENTOR forum?

Perhaps your profile needs to be updated, if you are now using Inventor.

If not, perhaps a moderator can move this to a more appropriate forum?

Sengna, your profile says you are using Autocad 2010, did you mean to post this in the INVENTOR forum?

Perhaps your profile needs to be updated, if you are now using Inventor.

If not, perhaps a moderator can move this to a more appropriate forum?

I'm sorry i need to update my profile infomation, I am using Autocad and Inventor 2014 now. Please don't move this post to other forum, this is for inventor. If i post this in Autocad then other will ask me to go post in inventor.

I always use the _ucs command, and then the _3 option. The it will ask you to select three points to set your new UCS: the origin, a point on the X Axis, and a point on the Y Axis. I'e never seen the "Create New Sketch" button that gbradley is showing you... but if you have it, that may be an easier option.
. Thanks resullin, i will give that a try.

resullin's and BIGAL's suggestions were for AutoCAD not Inventor.

Oh, no!!! That's not going to work for me then, this drawing was drawn by inventor.

Right Click on this face and Create New Sketch

gbradley, if i want to creat a new sketch, should i sketch on "A" surface though not "B", i want about 2" thick of enclosed.

A plane.jpg

resullin's and BIGAL's suggestions were for AutoCAD not Inventor.

Which was why I sought clarification on the software used by the OP, in my previous post, and my intention was, that should it actually have been an Autocad

question, it might have been better moved to another forum.

Now that we are sure it is an Inventor question, clearly it is in the right forum.

Edited by Dadgad

gbradley, if i want to creat a new sketch, should i sketch on "A" surface though not "B", i want about 2" thick of enclosed.

Your choice.

You can build the sketch on either plane and extrude it how you like.

I would choose the the plane you have marked "B"