How do I make editable block attributes on Drawing title Block

jcw1066

Hi everybody,

I have had a look through the forums and haven't been able to find what I need, I am really sorry if this is a simple question that has been asked several times but here it goes anyway!

I am trying to create a new drawing title block. Within the block I would like to have each of the parts (scale, drawing number, client etc etc) editable. I have seen it done where numerous bits of text from different parts of the drawings can all be edited from one pop up window...

Again I am very sorry if this is a stupid question but any help would be hugely appreciated or indeed a pointer at a thread that answers the question.

Thanks again

:)

Those numerous bits of text are called attributes. They are creatable from within the block editor.

First thing to do is draw up your block in modelspace, with all the locations for your attributes all laid out. you can move them any time in the block editor, too. Copy the title block to the block editor with a brand new name for the block. In the block editor, either click the attribute definition button, or type attdef. The block editor will walk you through creating and placing the attributes where you want them. Practice a few, it can give you confusing results. Getting the wrong size text style is one of them, but with a little planning, you can get the text size right before editing the block.

Remember, the title block is FULL SIZE, so your text size will want to be the actual height you want it to be on the page layout.

Tag means what is the attribute called, prompt means what you want the user to be asked for while changing the attribute value, and default is what will show in the drawing if nobody changes the attribute values.

For instance, for a Name attribute, the three items will probably be "Name", "Name", and "John Smith", or "Chakira" if you like.

The best way to get your objects into a new block, once they are drawn, is to simply type block and fill in a brand new unique block name, then the block create dialog will give you a number of choices to make and things to check off. Eventually you will have a title block with editable attributes.

It's s short learning curve, but a little too much to put in a reasonable sized post.

Just start it up and eventually you will get it. AutoCad F1 key and search word block helps too.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get the hang of it.