AutoCad blocking Unwanted layers - Layer Protection

Guitte

Is there a way to block-out unwanted layers. No one can import or copy paste into your drawing without the correct layer naming. Preventing your drawing being cluttered with unnecessary layers. Layer "0" you will always find in a drawing. If someone wants to import a drawing they first need to make all the layers "0", then they can copy paste or import a drawing. Making AutoCad read only the layers that are listed in your current drawing. :glare:

I don't think you can prevent it.

A good set of standards, quality control to ensure standards are adhered to, and good drafters are a good place to start.

AutoCAD has a standards checker but I have never used it. Maybe someone else can talk about the pros and cons of it.

Hi RobDraw,

That gets to my nerves, they want to implement standards, they don't keep to it. I asked the guy "manager" to give the drawings he import the correct layers, his reply " i don't have time". Where does it start... by the guy who manage things, rules cant be broken as it suits him. In hope that AutoCad program guys can perhaps think of putting this in their bucket list. I guess, to force this guy to do so, i need to make the drawing "read only" maybe he will find more time to figure out why his changes doesn't reflect and save me half a day figuring out where the wrong layers are and changing them.:twisted: I will dig around. Thanks

Here is something, not sure how this works found it in AutoCad Help command : BYBLOCK

A special object property used to specify that the object inherits the color or linetype of any block containing it. See also BYLAYER.

BYLAYER

A special object property used to specify that the object inherits the color or linetype associated with its layer. See also BYBLOCK.