Autosave Not Functioning

resullins

Yeah... don't change the permission of the default Autosave folder, change the autosave location first. Link --> The Autosave Mystery

LeeMac wrote a lisp that will a reactor that will save the files every xx commands, but honestly it's not too difficult to train yourself to Ctrl+S at least a few times an hour, especially when something like this happens to provide sufficient motivation. Just make an association between a certain task or tasks, and when it happens, press Ctrl+S

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• resullins

• ReMark

• rkent

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

I do use outlook.... I will check that out. I'm still concerned about my Autosave though. Like I said, I work from home, and my power and internet is not what one would call reliable. I have a battery backup, but it does NOT last long on my computer. Like, if I happen to be grabbing a cup of coffee when the power goes off, I'll never get everything saved in time.

I've called my reseller, and we'll see what they say. Until then, I guess I'm just gonna be working all weekend.

Hope it's not Hag....... you're better off asking here.

So apparently AC doesn't like not having full permissions. I tried it, my IT guy tried it a hundred different ways, and any time you take away a permission, AC won't save to that location. So that's fun. I think Autodesk has control issues.

So today I've been very good about saving every once in a while... but I still think there should be a better answer to this problem. So I'm going to do some research and see if I can find a way to do a hard save that's tied to something else. We'll see how that goes.

So apparently AC doesn't like not having full permissions. I tried it, my IT guy tried it a hundred different ways, and any time you take away a permission, AC won't save to that location. So that's fun. I think Autodesk has control issues.

So today I've been very good about saving every once in a while... but I still think there should be a better answer to this problem. So I'm going to do some research and see if I can find a way to do a hard save that's tied to something else. We'll see how that goes.

Zoom Extents might be a good trigger for a save reactor. It happens often, but not too often. Really, you don't want to run a save every few seconds. I've seen Autosave and Save take three or four seconds to run on a 5 meg drawing, and they cannot run in the background, so will not even let go of the cursor while they run.

I've used a program called File Scavenger several times to save my accidentally deleted chestnuts, and to recover from two failed C:\ drives in my last two computers. There's a free and paid version. The paid version has options to search for specific files, and/or types of files. I am not sure how much is available in the free version, but at least it can completely recover files from a hard disk with a corrupt boot sector.

A side comment. There is an ironic circumstance to programs like File scavenger. The copy of it I have installed on this computer was a download, and it will do me no good if this disk crashes.

Edited by Dana W

Oooh... that's a good one. That's also one that doesn't require user input, and so can't be interrupted... now I just have to figure out how to do a reactor. I'm not that good at LISP.

Simply training yourself to save at critical intervals involves nothing more than discipline. No lisp writing, no special programs to recover files, no reminders. Just discipline. Like teaching your daughter to say "please" and "thank you".

AutoSave is not there for your convenience. It is a tool designed to save your work in the event of an AutoCAD crash. You said you've had this happen before. Why keep putting yourself in the same situation? Isn't that one of the definitions of insanity? Doing the same thing repetitively and expecting different results. I've lost work in the past, realized that it was my fault (not the failure of AutoSave), and paid the consequences of bad computer habits. The habits that rkent posted work. I have not lost a minutes worth of work in many years.

Ok... interesting development. I found a .sv$ in my autosave location. But it's the same file as the .dwg one that was saved at 1:26 pm... so autosave apparently wasn't autosaving past that? What the hell?

That would indicate there were no changes to the drawing since then, if the .sv$ was there, then that is the configuration when it shut down.

Automatic saves are only done if a drawing has been modified after the last save. QSAVE, SAVE, and SAVEAS will halt the automatic save timer until an edit is made to the drawing.

If AutoCAD crashes or is otherwise abnormally terminated during a session, you can recover data saved in .sv$ files by locating the autosave file, renaming the .sv$ extension to dwg and then opening that file in AutoCAD. The autosave file will contain all drawing information as of the last time autosave ran. When AutoCAD closes normally, .sv$ files are deleted.

Strange it wasn't in the Recovery Manager.

When you launch AutoCAD after a crash, the Drawing Recovery Manager determines what drawings were active when the crash occurred and displays those drawings, and the associated backup and autosave files, in a single interface.

I never use AutoSave or .bak and never lost more than a few minutes work.

Save, Save and Save again.

Also, when ever you save, the timer for Autosave resets and the .bak is the version saved previously.

When I worked at a place that had us use .bak files, we also had to hit Save twice, makes the .bak file current.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Understanding-AutoCAD-backup-and-autosave-files.html#section6

Isn't Q+Enter Quit by default LOL

Actually I don't think it is and hasn't been for a while.

I was describing my method of saving which implied that Q was set for Qsave on my setup, but then you knew that already.

I'm about to CRY! I'm at my wit's end. My computer decided to restart itself last night without me telling it to. I lost HOURS of very hard work.

Nothing personal, but HOW is that possible?

How do you go "HOURS" without saving?

I just do not get it....

I suppose if there were a fire alarm, or some other emergency that was more important that pressing Ctrl+S....?

Autosave is there in case you do not have a UPS and the power goes out. It's not there to save your work.