Autosave Not Functioning

resullins

I'm about to CRY! I'm at my wit's end. My computer decided to restart itself last night without me telling it to. I lost HOURS of very hard work.

All this to say, I have automatic save turned ON, and set to 10 minute intervals. And it didn't do jack. My computer restarted last night sometime after 11 pm, and the last save on my file was at 1:26 pm. I've checked the Autosave file location, and there's no autocad files in there. What is it doing with this autosave?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• resullins

• ReMark

• rkent

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there a session of AutoCAD functioning at the time? If there was then there should be an autosave file. If there wasn't I would not expect to find one.

My only thought would be that when Windows 7 restarts, it makes AutoCAD think it's shutting down normally, thus deleting the .sv$ files. But that wouldn't explain why drawing recovery manager opens when I restart the program.

And, on the same note, does anyone know how to make my computer NOT RANDOMLY SHUT DOWN?!?!?! This is the third time it's happened, I'm ashamed to say.

The Drawing Recovery Manager opened when you restarted AutoCAD. OK. I take it then no drawings were listed thus the reason for your concern and question.

What is the defined path to the location of your .sv$ files? Is it on your hard drive or on the network?

Have you used Windows Explorer to try and find any and all .sv$ files?

What do you have for .bak files for the affected drawings?

And, on the same note, does anyone know how to make my computer NOT RANDOMLY SHUT DOWN?!?!?! This is the third time it's happened, I'm ashamed to say.

When did this start happening?

The .dwg file and the .bak file were listed in the recovery manager. No .sv$ file. I looked in options, and manually checked my Autosave path, there's nothing in there. It's saving to a Temp file on my hard drive. Could that be the problem? Does Windows clear temp files on restart sometimes?

Windows 7 has an inveterate function. It will scan files and perform updates without your permission, and automatically restart if it finds any problems. I've tried 4 different ways to stop it... none have worked yet.

Ok... interesting development. I found a .sv$ in my autosave location. But it's the same file as the .dwg one that was saved at 1:26 pm... so autosave apparently wasn't autosaving past that? What the hell?

Saving .sv$ files to a Temp folder on your hard drive should be no cause for concern.

I don't believe Windows automatically clears out the Temp file on a restart. If that were the case cleaning the folder out as part of the Disk Cleanup procedure (System Tools) would be unnecessary wouldn't it?

It is entirely possible, following the correct procedure, to prevent Windows from downloading and installing any updates without your direct intervention.

Ok... interesting development. I found a .sv$ in my autosave location. But it's the same file as the .dwg one that was saved at 1:26 pm... so autosave apparently wasn't autosaving past that? What the hell?

You just leave your computer on all night with AutoCAD open?

It's not. I have the setting checked to prompt me before downloading and installing any updates. It still does it. Google "Windows 7 auto restart." There are like 149,056 hits for how to disable this "feature." It's freaking TERRIBLE!

But either way, I feel like my autosave should be working better than this.

Also, for the record... Excel DID autosave my open file perfectly. Since when did Microsoft Office become the thing other programs aspire to? Grrrr....

Have you mucked around with your Power Settings (change, create or delete)?

You could always do a Registry hack to prevent Windows from installing any updates. Just be careful if you choose this option. Creating a backup of one's Registry is recommended.

No power settings have been changed. I also found something else interesting. Up until this morning, I had Windows Update turned completely off... something I did about 6 months ago when this happened last time. Well, I turned it back on, with it set to prompt me for all downloads and installations. And it needed to update itself, naturally. So I let it do its thing, manually restarted, and then opened the log file. Sure as sh*t, it updated a whole bunch of crap last night. How is it updating when I had updates turned off?!?!?

I'm not fully versed in the many mysterious ways that Windows works. I can't say I've run into the problems you have as I always shut down my computer when I am done for the day. And before I do I save any open drawing I've been working on and then backup a copy to my flash drive.