Rotate or change view direction of a 3D object in a 2D drawing, how?

Pietari

In short: how do I change the view direction op a block only in a dwg.

I usually (99% off the time) work in 2D drawings, plans etc. In these plans I sometimes need objects / block wich can be downloaded from various sites. Sometimes, the block I download, is a block seen from above, a top view of the block. But I need the front view.

Now I open a new dwg, paste the block in it, then use the #D Wheel to get the front view. Next I do a few UCS actions and somehow I manage to paste the blocks front view back into my drawing.

I am sure there is a way more easy solution to do this but I dont know how. 3DRotate is not what I am loking for (I believe).

Any help is welcome, thanks!

You could try using the 3DRotate command. I'd suggest being in an isometric view when you do to better see what is happening. When the object is rotated to your satisfaction switch back to a top view. Or make use of two model space viewports one of which shows a top view and the other an isometric view. Work in one viewport and see the results in the other. When you're done switch back to a single view, top, view.

Using vpoint you can go to a view angle you always want try vpoint 1,1,1 this is 45 deg hor 45 ver, try vpoint 1,0,1 you can then save views so you can jump back. You can also use UCS setting planes and saving them UCS 3 pick 3 pts S for save. Then UCS R say "back"

I prefer using 3DALIGN to 3DROTATE (or ROTATE3D) to reorient an object. You can put the 3DALIGN coordinates into a script file (or make a simple LISP program).

Assuming you want to orient the X,Y plane of the block so that it lies in the X,minus-Z plane of the WCS (realign the object so that its front view becomes the top view), use the following points for the reorientation.

Source points: 0,0,0 1,0,0 0,0,1 Target points: 0,0,0 1,0,0 0,1,0

You can put these points into a script file that would look like this:

Then just give the 3DALIGN command, select the block and execute the script.