Not create duplicate Layers, Linestyles etc during Xrefing?

fostertom

I have floor plans, sections etc drawn in 2D 296D Master.dwg. I select GrdFl plan linework>WBLOCK>create new file 296D GrdFl.dwg. I Xref the latter back into 296D Master.dwg, replacing (and deleting) the original GrdFl linework in 296D Master.dwg. All good.

But now I have a duplicate set of Layers, Linestyles etc in 296D Master.dwg e.g 296D GrdFl|Joinery, as well as plain Joinery still. I don't want the complication of duplicate Layers; I want the Xref to still use plain Joinery, not 296D GrdFl|Joinery.

Is there any way I can opt to not create duplicate Layers? I know that no duplicates are created if I do similar but as Block instead of Xref, but I have reason to move on from the simplicity of Blocks, to Xrefs.

Even if the layers have exactly the same name, they will be tagged with the xref file name in the layer name. AutoCad can't take the chance that even one layer is slightly different than the ones in the main drawing, so it makes them ALL unique.