annotative

bjenk8100

Hello,

I am trying to get a template that uses the annotative feature. My multiline text works perfectly (keeping same size text in diff scaled VP's). However, I am trying to get my leaders and dims to do the same with no luck. I went into each of their settings and enabled everything that I could that would make it annotative and it still does not work. I kind of remember that DIM settings would do it for leaders too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx

You are posting in the AutoCad Beginners Area, yet your profile says you are using Revit.

Are we talking about AutoCad? Which version?

Which settings and where?

Are you remembering to add the annotative scales you are using to the to the annotative dimensions and leaders?

If we are using AutoCad....

Are you using the Dimension style manager, and the leader style manager? There is a check box on the primary units tab in the dim style editor to make them annotative, or you can start with a copy of the default Annotative dimension style. I have not looked but I believe the mleader editor works the same way.

If you use Properties to change this setting, it only changes the selected item(s), not all of them at once.

Even globally changing, or creating new, the style in the dim style editor (manager) will not necessarily show the changes in the existing dimensions right away, even if you change the style they are already using.

After you have set up the annotative dim/leader style, you will have to "move" the existing dims and leaders to their respective styles even if they are already IN that style. That is to select them all, then find the new or modified style in the drop down list and click on it. Then you will probably have to do a regenall to get them to show the new style properties right away. An AutoCad drawing has a huge background database, and changes made do not always immediately take effect without human intervention. Sometimes they refresh right away, and sometimes they don't.

Hint: Use the commands LAYISO (layer isolate), and LAYUNISO (layer un-isolate) to make it easy for selecting all the dims and/or leaders at once.

You do have all your dimensions on a special layer just for them, right? With that layer current, LAYISO will turn OFF all the other layers so you can select everything on the remaining layer at once without having to avoid selecting stuff you don't want. Then, once you have "moved" all the dimensions and/or mleaders to the new dim style, LAYUNISO will turn all the other layers back on.

I figured it out, thanks though. Leaders have the check box. I consider myself a beginner to autocad because i havent used it in awhile. Im getting my mojo back so I will move back up.

I figured it out, thanks though. Leaders have the check box. I consider myself a beginner to autocad because i havent used it in awhile. Im getting my mojo back so I will move back up.
Excelent.:thumbsup: Glad it is sorted. Yup, we all needs mo' mojo. I'm still so stupid in Revit, I don't even know how to ask questions about it.:rtfm::rofl:

If you use revit for just the things that you can do in autocad revit is easy. I can draw things in revit in 20 min that would take hours in autocad. However, revit has some crazy things going on that I assure you nobody knows it all. Not even close. What is funny is that there are other programs that are more powerful just not as broad as revit. For instance, revit can do all these free calculations of mechanical and electrical units. The outcome is great for architects but minuscule for an engineer. I think the program is just to put everything together to make the fat cats happy and sell to owners. Other programs that just focus on one thing like hvac, electrical, structural, etc have such a stronger technical outcome. Revit makes a structural version. It still cant produce everything needed for a big project.

As far as questions. Download Lyndas video tutorials and you will be fine to start. Then mr google can help from there or places like this.

Some programs are meant for specific industries where autodesk does not really complete the full job. I am talking about all the calculations. I love revit. Its great for BIM but as a structural engineer we need all the calculation and nc files for fabrication. I would rather use model programs like Tekla. Model programs should not be confused with model space. Every kind of beam manufactured within AISC is inside it. You just click it and add some parameters and go. They make it so easy its unreal. When I talk about calculations I do not just mean moment and reactions. I hear inventor is better than most Autodesk programs with that kind of stuff. I have used it but originated with solidworks. Both are great but inventor is again a little too basic. In all, they are all amazing programs. I watch this guy do all drawings and calculation by hand and brain and it amazes me. Human error factor can be quite scary though.

Tekla is pretty awesome. Some of our structural subs who provide steel models for shop drawings use Tekla and the models are absolutely phenomenal. Revit can still do it, just not anywhere as efficient as Tekla.

Yea,

We have someone that uses it full time. He always says that he does not draw anything. He "models" and edits. One of those guys that cannot communicate very effectively. Anyone know what to do with a kss file. Someone sent one to me and we need to get it to work with a cnc format. I have never heard of it. I have been googleing it but cant get a good strategy.