plotting colors

bjenk8100

I know you can set layers as certain colors but plot them as default. Is the only way to do this by choosing monochrome in print setup? I remember seeing something else where you change how a layer plots.

actually that is only for entire drawing. When I click on an object and go to properties the only option for plot style is by color. That is what I want to change.

I don't understand your reference to plotting in color by using the monochrome.ctb unless a layer's color was set to use a TrueColor not an Index color. If I wanted to use a .ctb and I wanted to plot in color I would use the acad.ctb plot style.

What exactly do you want to see as your final output? It would help if you also attached a copy of the drawing you are attempting to print.

Since your profile indicates Revit, I suggest you preface each AutoCAD related topic as such to avoid any confusion. ;)

You can control the plot any way you wish either through a plot style, or by using Viewport overrides.

For Plotstyles, see here

For VP overrides, simply activate the Viewport, then open the layer manager and scroll across until you see the VP override settings for color, linetype, lineweight, etc. A really simple demonstration of how that works is to select All layers (Click the first layer then Shift+Click the last layer) then under VP color, change it to "White" You've effectively just changed that Viewport, but only that Viewport, to display and plot everything black... (assuming you're not further controlling the display and plot colors with a plot style table)

Edited by nestly

From my understanding different colors look more transparent when not plotting color. I like to have different colors for different layers for my own preference. I just want everything to plot the same.

acad 10 and acad 14 (home, work)

That first sentence makes no sense re: "colors look more transparent when not plotting color". If you aren't plotting in color aren't you then plotting in monochrome (black)?

Plot the same how? All black, all color or some combination of black and color?

Acad 10 and 14? Release 10 and 14 or the 2010 and 2014 versions of AutoCAD? So why does your profile say Revit?

if you do monochrome yes. If you do acad.ctb different colors have different shades/transparencies when plotted. For instance, yellow would have a dimmer look than black. I was told not to use monochrome. I dunno why.

I use revit more than anything. I really do not draft much anymore, just when needed. I only really use revit for plans. Let the young bucks do the rest.

Clearing up, plotting color to a b-w printer laser etc using a color ctb the colors will go to a shade of grey, if you want this though make your own CTB you can make yellow plot light grey just pick the plot edit ctb box and change its color.

yea that video above sums it all up. I would use monochrome but i dunno why i was told not to. I will try to find out though. I have never even seen a color plotter and Ive been doing this crap for 15 years. Our plotter is like 10k. A color one must be 20+. Then the damn ink is probably outrageous. We aggravate over the cost of the paper rolls, lol.

Monochrome.ctb is great, but not 100% complete for my AutoCAD needs. I duplicated it long ago and made a few minor changes to suit my needs more. Wouldn't know why someone said to not use it... just doesn't make any sense. Probably some oldtimer set in his/her ways and had some ridiculous CTB file that "they" thought was gospel. I've seen it at all my companies where AutoCAD was king.