Trimming an object in 3D

sandualex

OK,so I know that you cannot trim an object in 3D,and I already tried SUBTRACT command,but with no use.I need to mention though that I'm no expert in 3D modelling,and I may have missed some things to be able to create the final object.I will attach the way the object needs to look like and what I have accomplished so far.Help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks in advance !!! this is the original subiectul2.dwg

and this is what I have done so far original.jpg

You might want to take another look at your drawing (both the 2D and 3D portions) before proceeding any further.

The 2D top view of the object has Constraints enabled. Was this intentional?

The 2D top view shows a chamfer at the front and back not a fillet (red dashed linework) yet your 3D arch appears to be filleted on the back and chamfered in the front.

The 3D arch does not appear to be square with the base. If you look closely at the right hand side of the arch while in a 2D wireframe visual style you will see what I mean. This could cause you a problem later on.

Subiectul.PNG

This is what I came up with based upon the drawing you provided. I had to make a couple of guesses as you did not provide a dimensioned front view of the object.

I drew one end then mirrored it. I revolved a profile for the arch then added the somewhat rectangular piece that runs through the middle of the arch. I created that piece with an extruded profile. Finally, I joined all the pieces together using the Union command.

Thank you both for the replies,I managed to remove the part I neede by creating a circle,extrude it ,and then subtract from the whole.Thanks a lot and I'll be sure to ask for help here when I need it.

Did you retain the constraints that you had applied?

subiectul_constraints.JPG

Did you fix the geometry on the right hand side of the arch?

subiectul_overlap.jpg

Edited by ReMark

That's good to hear. Not that there is anything wrong with using constraints but many new users don't recognize what they are or how they work then they start to wonder what is going on with their drawing.

Are you going to share an image of the final model?

I'm sorry but I'm not in my home town anymore,and I don't have my desktop with me(I study in another city).Either way,about the constraints,I myself don't really understand how to and why to use them,and have turned them on accidentally,and now they're turned back off.

Since we're at it,I want to know,regarding that outer edge on top,would be a good ideea to create a copy and place it in the exact same spot,extrude one for the full lenght,then the next for the rmaining length,and then subtract one from the other so leave me with the desired thickness?

next.jpg

Also,how would you go about on this one?

next2.jpg

The object in the top image has three main parts two of which appear to be exactly the same (but one is rotated different than the other) separated by a cylinder. In essence you only need to create two parts. Follow me?

To create the object in the bottom image I'd construct my five-sided base first. Then I would create a single tab (with hole) and use the Array command with the Polar option. Is that basically what you were thinking?

Is this all being done for an AutoCAD class or are your teaching yourself?

Yes,this is what I have been thinking,and to answer your question,yes,is for the AutoCAD class.The first one was assigned to me,but the other two to other students,but I decided to work on it myself to improve my skills.So a little bit of both.

I admire your initiative. Good for you! :)

Re: top image in your previous post. After giving it some thought I would recommend you make the top and bottom without the hole. Union these to the cylinder then using a profile for the hole extrude it (then subtract) or use PressPull having it pass through all three parts. Understand?