annotative stuff

bjenk8100

Hello,

I set a template up with annotative text, dims and leaders. Everything works great if I start a new drawing and draw all my own stuff. However, I copied and pasted a drawing from another file from someone else. I erased all his/her text, dims and leaders and planned on using my annotative features to annotate the drawing (his/her and my models). Well, the annotative features are not working at all. Any ideas?

autocad 2010

I opened my dwt to start a dwg. I opened someone elses dwg and copied and pasted it to my dwg with my template settings in place which works when I do stuff by my own.

im not at work but i just thought of this. Maybe I copied and pasted their drawing which was 1/8"-1' to my 1'-1' to start. Annotative thing just went haywire??

Post the drawing when you get back to work, but first walk over to whoever drew at 1/8" scale and give him a really hard Jethro Gibbs to the head.

If you did copy stuff that was already scaled to 1/8" = 1'-0" into your modelspace, it is 1/96th as big as it needs to be. Simply scale it up by a factor of 96, then your dimensions will work.

yea i changed all my things to 20' before i left and just left in rage. What was wrong with 1/8"-1'. That is common. He/she was just real newb about the drawing. If I see the titleblock in model space I know I am in for it. People say the same about me though. I make titleblocks in PS but not as blocks. People think Im nuts but it works for me. I just change my titleblock so often it is not worth it. Not just tags but actual lines and placement and etc pending on projects. F'n NJDOT tells you how far away titleblock has to be from paper edge. lol Im going to go in and convert theirs to 1'-1' and copy/paste to mine 1'-1' and I bet all will work.

yea i changed all my things to 20' before i left and just left in rage. What was wrong with 1/8"-1'.
Nothing, in paperspace. But, nobody scales in modelspace any more, and nobody does layouts in modelspace any more. That went out when AutoDesk introduced paperspace. I think that was around the time Fred Flintstone discovered shoes.

Im going to go in and convert theirs to 1'-1' and copy/paste to mine 1'-1' and I bet all will work.
^^^That should be the fix.

The trouble is that until you scale it back up to 1:1, your modelspace units are 96 times bigger than the scaled units in the copied drawing. You could apply a dimension linear scale of 0.0125 to a dimension style but that would be like sweeping a dead horse under a throw rug, and what happens when you try to plot that thing at 1:1 scale? Scale it up and be done, and correct.

All model space geometry should be drawn to full size and not scaled as one might do if they were drawing manually on a drafting board. This should be drummed into the head of everyone who picks up AutoCAD for the very first time.