Form/document for plan inclusion

keithwins

I am helping in the development of an info sheet that will be included in drawing sets. Think of it as a full page in whatever size the set is being prepared in (though there's enough content that it will only be readable at about Arch/Ansi D and above). The blank "form" is given to the design team as DWG, who then fill it out with specific information (in this particular case, it is to document building code compliance). It is expected to be useful/used by the design team, plan reviewers, and inspectors.

The first version of this has been created in AC 2012 in model space, using lines, hatches & mostly SHX fonts. I have been somewhat peripherally involved thus far, and I am an utter novice in AC.

Questions: for general circulation and future flexibility, do TrueType fonts have an advantage over SHX, or vice-versa? How important is this?

Should this be created in Model space, or paper space (note that it's to be printed at different sizes, though scale is not really important)?

Is there a better way to do this (i.e., give them a pdf, or a text file and some kind of xref'ed doc, etc).

I'm attaching a working copy. I've swapped out a few headings with TrueType fonts. Haven't set up the paper space much (is that the same as creating layouts?). Any and all critique/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

I posted this same question in another forum (completely different site) days ago and got no responses, sorry for repetition to the more worldly I'm just hoping for some wisdom. Thanks!

Keith

AC Form Example 1.dwg

I would make your 11.17 as a full size 1:1 34x22 you only need then to change the plot scale factor to 1=2 to now get 11x17 we do this for A1 mtric 1=2 is a A3.

True type fonts or shx maybe some merit in TTF as its more common now but again you can download a custon TTF so someone else will not read dwg correct if they dont have that font.

If you are going to be generating this document at any point as a pdf, then you need to be aware that shx fonts are not searchable in a pdf document. shx fonts are represented in a pdf as a pile of pixels, where a TT font is actual imbedded text, and is searchable.

Do this once in modelspace at full size, in its own dwg file, and then xref it into any other dwg layout in paperspace scaled to fit.

Edited by Dana W

That's not a drawing as much as it is a spreadsheet. I would have done all that in Excel then used the Table command > DataLink feature to bring the various tables into the drawing. This would allow me to make changes in the drawing itself or in the spreadsheet and give me the ability to update the information in the other program.

Oh, by the way. Do you know you have drawn the form page using feet as units? It's 27'-0" long give or take a few inches. And another plus one for the data link to an Excel spreadsheet.