Properties tab slows progress

OMEGA-ThundeR

Hello,

I experience when i have the properties tab open (snapped to the right side of the screen) and i select objects that the systems 'hangs' for an instance (about half a second). It's pretty obvious when i click on dimensions.

I experience this for years and many AutoCAD versions and i believe there is no other fix for it then just close the properties tab when you don't need it.

But perhaps somebody knows of a trick that eliminates that slowness from the properties tab.

Try undocking is and see if there's any difference.

If AutoCAD window is not maximized, try resizing it down a bit, or maximize it if it's not already maximized.

What version of autocad are you currently using? Is this always the case that occurs in every single drawing? Or does the problem only reoccur from time to time? What options do you have enabled on the status bar? I have found that sometimes this occurs in large drawings when the quick select option is enabled (especially when I try and select a polyline with hundreds of vertices). If this isn't the cause then here are a few more questions I would ask.

Are you working across a network? How large is the file? Have you tried purging and auditing the drawing? What are your computers specs? Does your computer exceed the minimum requirement to run the software? Do you have any anti-virus software installed? If so which one? It's seems strange but I seem to recall a similar problem that was exacerbated (but not necessarily caused) by mcaffee during a virus scan or when real time scanning was enabled.

This is the line I find most perplexing: "I experience this for years and many AutoCAD versions..." I have never had this happen in any version of AutoCAD that contained the Property palette feature.

It's an anoyance i've been living with all my years... It's not bad enough to seriously complain about but not good enough to not complain about it. However it seems to get worse and i take notice of it more often than usual.

I momentarily use AutoCAD 2015 from the IDS premium, but i guess that doesn't matter anyway.

The issue is the same in Autocad 2013 and 2014, however a little less noticable, but on dimensions it's the worst (relatively). In 2015 is more noticable.

Selecting simple object is of little 'lagg', selecting dimensions or texts or more noticable.

Quick Properties doesn't seem to have any trouble with it, but it shows less information. Mostly i only need it to edit text height or arrow sizes. Perhaps if i set the right filters it's better.

It needs a lot of configuring for all the objects, is it exportable? Can i save the .cui or something file for the quick properties settings?

I can't explain why I have never seen the problem yet you have seen it over many releases. A complete mystery to me.

I do not have an answer re: Quick Properties at the moment. Maybe someone else can answer your question. In the meantime I may take a look into it just out of curiosity.

Any response to the previous suggestions to undock the Properties palette and try disabling some of the drafting aids in the AutoCAD status bar?

I would suggest trying each of these systematically:

SELECTIONCYCLING=0

UCSDETECT=0

ROLLOVERTOOLTIPS=0

SELECTIONPREVIEW=0

PROPERTYPREVIEW=OFF

This issue with Properties Palette isn't new, and has particularly plagued those with low-end computer specifications, or those that use verticals such as Civil 3D.

I've gone from a low-end workstation with minimum requirements & old versions of AutoCAD, to now having a workstation on the high-end side of the equation & newest software - I can confirm that the issue still persists, based on the data being selected (i.e., actively depicted in Properties Palette).

As example, my workstation's performance makes most of my work a breeze, but I still experience lag when I select one or more 'dense' Feature Lines, perform several rapid 3D movements viewing a rendered Surface in Object Viewer, etc. (

Quick workstation stats: Dell Precision T3600, Win8.1x64, Hex-Core Xeon, 32 GB RAM, 3 GB Nvidia Quadro, -480 GB SSD Virtual Disk RAID 0, 240 GB SSD (OS Backup), 1 TB WD Velociraptor 10K RPM (Admin Data, App .ISOs, License/Device IP/Environment documentation, Client Hyper-V virtual machines, etc.), 3 x Gigabit NIC (1 NIC for my workstation, 2 for Virtual Switches in Client Hyper-V VMs)

Quick Properties doesn't seem to have any trouble with it, but it shows less information. Mostly i only need it to edit text height or arrow sizes. Perhaps if i set the right filters it's better.

It needs a lot of configuring for all the objects, is it exportable? Can i save the .cui or something file for the quick properties settings?

As with any sort of customization, it will take a little effort, five to ten minutes invested working through the list.

At the end of that exercise however you will have a quicker and more relevant tool at your disposal.

There are a number of setting options for the display of the Quick Properties palette, as shown in the screenshot.

You have the option of only choosing the info to display for the types of objects which are most applicable in your use.

In that case you would probably want to display properties for "only objects with specified properties".

The palette can be self collapsing, or not, and static or cursor-dependent.

I use it all the time, would be lost without it.

It saves me having to wade through a lot more information, on the fly, than I typically need.

quick properties palette settings.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

I too am a fan of Quick Properties :thumbsup::

... one of the best things Autodesk did in recent releases (to my mind) is the Quick Properties functionality, something most non-developers cannot fully appreciate... I cannot seem to find the post where I expressed my appreciation for the complexity of this in full, but to summarize....

[Edit] - Ironic that I couldn't find that post, again. LoL