Typing commands faster than AutoCAD can process

OMEGA-ThundeR

Hi,

Since AutoCAD 2015, which we started using recently, colleagues and myself start noticing that typing in commands sometimes results in executing the wrong command because the command is entered/spaced (confirmed) to fast.

e.g. : When you want to copy something you type CO 'enter'. But if you do it fast enough it starts the circle command.

And 'fast enough' is not like typing 2000 characters a minute, but more like you have to wait a fraction of a second before confirming the command.

As always it's inconsistent and doesn't occour in all the drawings, but i hear relatively a lot of complaints about it since 2015.

Know problem?

No problem here, as you describe, using AutoCAD 2015 and typing in command aliases.

It puzzles me why the problem would not be inconsistent. If it were a bug one would think the problem would be encountered in any drawing that is opened.

Has IT run a thorough virus-scan of all computers and the main server?

BTW...what are your system specs?

Hi,

Since AutoCAD 2015, which we started using recently, colleagues and myself start noticing that typing in commands sometimes results in executing the wrong command because the command is entered/spaced (confirmed) to fast.

e.g. : When you want to copy something you type CO 'enter'. But if you do it fast enough it starts the circle command.

And 'fast enough' is not like typing 2000 characters a minute, but more like you have to wait a fraction of a second before confirming the command.

As always it's inconsistent and doesn't occour in all the drawings, but i hear relatively a lot of complaints about it since 2015.

Know problem?

Methinks the lag you're experiencing is due to the new Automatic completion, Command line suggestions, and Automatic correction features (see Aids for Entering Commands section; scroll down).

You may want to go through the -INPUTSEARCHOPTIONS Command to modify what is, and is not evaluated.

Cheers

[Edit] - Can you post a Jing video clip to demonstrate?

+1 with BlackBox

I'd start by increasing INPUTSEARCHDELAY. I also have a vague recollection that it's more likely to occur with a floating command line (or vice-versa)

+1 with BlackBox

I'd start by increasing INPUTSEARCHDELAY. I also have a vague recollection that it's more likely to occur with a floating command line (or vice-versa)

*Tips hat*

I also recall that this new functionality was able to 'learn' a user's preferences over time, so the more you use it, the easier it gets given one's role, commonly used Commands, etc.

INPUTSEARCHDELAY

Sets the number of milliseconds to delay before the command line suggestion list is displayed.

The default is 300. The range is 100 to 10,000 milliseconds.

I do like the 'floating command line' near the crosshair. It's all not advantageous towards performance, but it's not like we use pentium 3 computers anymore.

System specs for me are a HP Z420 Desktop with 16gb ram, SSD and a E5-1620 and a Nvidia Quadro 4000. Almost everyone else is using a HP mobile workstation with pretty recent specs.

Although i believe my current Z420 would crumble to a fetal position in comparison to some consumer hardware, but i guess that's the life of an office worker. My home computer (Intel i7 4790k with AMD 290 grahics and 16gb) seems to run everything a lot smoother.

In the end however i don't want to set my AutoCAD envoirment back to a near MS-DOS interface, why does everything have to slow the system down so much?

Anyway, i'll try the INPUTSEARCHDELAY and ask my co-workers if it helps :).

I occasionally have the same problem in 2013LT, it is to do with the autocomplete and you can see it occuring sometimes, that the highlighted command in the prompt is the one that is run instead of the one containing the last letter you have typed, I think it also has something to do with the order of recent commands as it is a difficult one to repeat the problem consistently.

I do like the 'floating command line' near the crosshair.

Input near the cursor is due to Dynamic Input.... I was referring to a Floating Command line, which you wouldn't necessarily expect to have an affect on how AutoCAD works... but it sometimes does.

Input options.gif

Since C is the alias for Circle, you could be missing the O in CO for Copy entirely. So it may not even be the delay of the command line, but something you'll have to figure out for yourself.

I would recommend taking a step back and consider the following.

Optimize AutoCAD based programs within Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. Courtesy of AutoDesk.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Optimize-Performance-within-Windows-7-Environments.html

And maybe this too.

How to speed up AutoCAD.

http://www.cad-notes.com/speed-up-autocad-configuration/

Hi,

I started seeing this with 2014 and have tried all the settings with no real luck. 2013 works perfect for me in this regard, 2014 no so much, I have quit using 2015 for various reasons.

I had the very same issue and solved it by changing the "AutoComplete" delay.

I changed my delay to 0.30 and haven't had any issues since.

Just type in "AutoComplete" or "AutoCompleteDelay" at the command line for all the settings. You can also right click the command line and go that route.

Hope this gets you fixed.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I had same issue... I think I solved it, at least for myself. It maybe works for you too.

On my Autocad 2016 MAP that problem appears only in big drawings. After hours of analysis I came to solution by changing the variable SELECTIONCYCLING to -2.

Problem was when there are few lines/objects one on another. After this, typing command+SPACE works great.