2d Draughting in Revit

FIFTHTEXAS

can anyone advise on 2D drawings in revit, being a new user i am trying to learn this software so far i have onlly been doing 3d.

it has been suggested at my company that they want to ditch the autocad and do everything on revit.

can this be done.

say i want to do some schematic diagrams, how do i do this, i know you can go in draughting view, do lines, text

hatching. but what about blocks, what is best method.

say valve blocks, etc, equipment, in cad i have these in blocks all in a legend i bring into a drawing and take what i need. how do i do this is revit?

do i make a set of 2d families? can i bring in blocks from autocad? can i make a legend in revit on a template

so everything is there i need.

has anyone got any good tutorials on 2d in revit, i have seen some on detailing

any feedback be most appreciated

You asked enough questions for a full on training session. I would suggest finding a class on this or at least doing some research and learning on your own. Then come back and ask some informed questions.

I will answer a few of your questions, though.

can anyone advise on 2D drawings in revit, being a new user i am trying to learn this software so far i have onlly been doing 3d.

it has been suggested at my company that they want to ditch the autocad and do everything on revit.

can this be done.

Yes

but what about blocks, what is best method.

say valve blocks, etc, equipment

There are several ways to do this:

Detail Groups

Detail Components

Annotation Families

As to the best, you have to determine what is best for your use.

can i bring in blocks from autocad?

This is highly discouraged because the repercussions can be disastrous to a model.

Rob hit some great points. I'll continue on his coat tails to say that 2D drafting and linework is definitely possible in Revit. In any View you're in, simply type DL to bring up the Drafting Linework tools and go to town. They're all the same that AutoCAD has, with minor tweaks and adjustments to some of the tools that differ from AutoCAD. The snaps work the same too. And then there are things you'll find that aren't there in the 2D tools, such as Polar Tracking, Point Filters, etc.

In saying that, now let me go on to say that it's best to let go of 2D drafting in Revit. Abandon the AutoCAD mentality altogether and get used to the change. When you do you'll be sitting in a much better position with Revit. Traditional ways of "how" things look will change, and that's okay. You may not think it is at first but you must have faith in experienced Revit uses that the benefits are certainly there.

In your talk about schematic... if you mean plumbing and piping, my suggestion is to get used to the 3D piping and piping accessories but model them in a general routing of 3D space. In other words, don't fully coordinate the 3D models. Disregarding things hitting other things in 3D and make it look good in plan view first, using the Coarse View setting so everything displays in a schematic way. This is how I did my plumbing and piping designs and it helped out greatly for the old school engineers when they reviewed and marked up plans. Shop drawings are different... and take a completely different approach. You do want to show double lined everything, larger scales and it needs to be coordinated.

Hope this helps some. -TZ