xref using geographic data

Openantics

i just had a real bad experience with using the option of "Locate Using Geographic Data" as i tried to attach a dwg with a different coordinate system. C3D help prompted with this very clear warning as i hit OK:

"If the GIS coordinate systems are not the same, only the geographic marker transforms correctly to the host drawing’s GIS coordinate system. The other points may not transform correctly and may indicate incorrect geographic locations. Hence, the system warns you if it detects a coordinate system mismatch when you attach or insert the drawing. It however does not prevent you from attaching or inserting it."

the xref i wish to attach is in a state plane grid system - meters, and my desired units are the same state plane zone, but in feet. really not sure what C3D did, and it got close - only about 4.5' off (~2%), but i am glad i am old school enough that i have always converted coordinates using NADCON (corpscon 6) and noticed the difference.

i obviously do not understand transformations well enough, but is it not surprising that attaching a reference using geographic data would really be this far off from NADCON?

any ideas?

thanks!