Viewport follows Model space object?

rodykoolhoven

Is there a way to let a viewport from paperspace follow an object in modelspace?

I have a circular viewport that is zoomed in on a part of my drawing to show some details of it, but on the next drawing the part is repositioned and falls outside of the viewport's range.

This means I have to edit the viewing area of the viewport to the new position manually every time the part moves.

I hope someone has an idea for this?

Greetz,

Rody

Do you mean to say that you have two drawings where your using the same object in both drawings or do you mean you have a template drawing that contains this object but you have to reposition every time you open the template? Please clarify.

Do you mean to say that you have two drawings where your using the same object in both drawings or do you mean you have a template drawing that contains this object but you have to reposition every time you open the template? Please clarify.

I mean i have 1 drawing in which i have a viewport looking at an object. This is drawing 1. Than i want to do save as drawing 2. In drawing 2 the object is moved to a new position but i want the viewport to follow the object. Thus so that it is always centered in the viewport.

It sounds like the OP has two layouts which they are mistakenly calling drawings, a viewport in each layout. Then some edit is done which moves the objects in modelspace. The OP wants to know if there is a way to make the viewport automatically follow that object. The answer to that question, if I have it right, is Nope. A viewport is "aimed" at an area in modelspace, not any particular objects.

EDIT AFTER READING THE ABOVE POST: The same goes for saving it to a new drawing and positioning the objects differently. The viewport cannot know what objects are in modelspace. There is no way.

I think I've seen it done before. The object(s) have to have a specific name (easy enough by making it a Group or Block) and then you need a lisp to Zoom > Obect