Autodesk removing perpetual licenses, maintenance subscriptions

rkent

So Autodesk confirmed in their Oct 1 Investors Meeting that perpetual licenses are going away in the next 12 to 24 months. They will start with LT and move from there.

I don't think there are any details on what happens to existing perpetual licenses once this is all phased in but with Maintenance subscriptions going away it sounds like your license would be on the pay as you go subscription.

I am thinking that 2015 AutoCAD and Inventor are good enough from me (actually 2014) and will not have the company buy anymore subscriptions.

Subscription has always been a problem we have 2015 but run 2013 and it does everything we need in the last few years I will say honestly I have not really seen anything "WOW" that justifys the $12,000 a year for multiple copies.

The Civil software I was involved in had a sliding scale 100% for 1st 80% for 2nd 60% 3rd 40% for every one after that. With 12 copies it makes a big cost saving.

Biggest problem is 3rd party suppliers supporting older version with new updates which we do see value in.

What happens with network versions ?

That's ok, this'll be my last release. I'll probably be in Way South Florida with my butt in a perpetually licensed beach chair by next year anyway, and won't give any more youknowwhats about it.

So Autodesk confirmed in their Oct 1 Investors Meeting that perpetual licenses are going away in the next 12 to 24 months. They will start with LT and move from there.

I don't think there are any details on what happens to existing perpetual licenses once this is all phased in but with Maintenance subscriptions going away it sounds like your license would be on the pay as you go subscription.

Is there a link to an announcement? It would be quite a departure from what they said a few months earlier. --> LINK

Does this mean that Autodesk is completely changing its licensing model to subscription-based offerings only?

No. At this time, Autodesk has no plans to change the licensing model across the board for all products. Desktop Subscription, perpetual licenses, and perpetual licenses with Maintenance Subscription will all continue to be a very important part of our portfolio.

emphasis added

Maybe they didn't have any plans at that time, just thinking about it but no plan. Now they have a plan.

http://blog.digitaltutors.com/autodesk-vp-marketing-hints-phasing-perpetual-licenses/

you can go here

http://investors.autodesk.com/phoenix.zhtml?p=irol-eventDetails&c=117861&eventID=5169120

and listen to the presentation, skip to about 18:00 and listen for 4 or 5 minutest.

It was also suggested that such a large group of license holders were a problem for Autodesk’s culture. Anagnost explained that he believed having such a large group of customers so out of line with current versions was not good for the company’s “ecosystem” or for the customers themselves. “We would like to see everybody on the current release,” he stated.
Yeah.... that would be great if they'd start releasing "current" versions that are well tested and actually work better than the previous version(s) We're 8-9 months into the "current" version, and most of the users I know aren't using the "current" version... not because they don't have access to it... but because it's too buggy. Seriously, they're going to decide that staying with the previous version "is not good for the customer" even when the current version is less usable .... that's just brilliant.

It is all about the money first, in August a rep for one of the investment firms asked when perpetual licenses would go away, and Carl Bass response was "when do you think we should do that?". Shows you who is really in charge.

They're apparently getting their money anyway, I wonder why they think customers that have paid for the new version aren't using it?

I just hope they don't start expiring existing perpetual licenses.

Autodesk really only supports the current version anyway, so I could not care less about discontinued support. My concern is that they'll expire the license, thereby deactivating the product.

Autodesk really only supports the current version anyway, so I could not care less about discontinued support. My concern is that they'll expire the license, thereby deactivating the product.

That is the big question and any answer they give can't be given much weight.

Assuming they do eliminate perpetual licenses and Maintenance subscriptions... I may be in a bit of a non-typical situation. I did a multi-year subscription renewal, so my Subscription is already paid until the 4th quarter in 2016, that's half way through what should be the 2017 product version. I guess I'll find out if they'll honor the contract...

Well once it is installed there is nothing they can do. Now installing it again on say a new PC might be a problem.

Well once it is installed there is nothing they can do. Now installing it again on say a new PC might be a problem.

I'd only agree with that if you remove/disable all the communication features...and even then, if they expire the license it would still a violation to use it even if you've disabled their ability to deactivate it remotely

True on the violation of terms of use if you use past contract date. I disagree on the ability to remote deactivate. No proof of that ability that I have seen/heard of. In fact I asked about it when we were losing our educational facility discount. My rep said there was no way to do so. Now if she was being honest is the question ;)