Designing for a laser cutter: Is AutoCad the best choice for what I need to do?

Zirngibism

I do not plan to be a well-rounded 3D CAD user, and this is a brand new space for me. But I need something that can assemble complex vector "slabs" interlocked in 3D, with the ability to export just their faces back to 2D.

Step-by-step of what I need to be able to do:

1. Import highly complicated, lace-like vector shapes.

2. Give them a 1/4" depth.

3. Assemble them in 3D space, with the ability to modify the shape of individual slices in a nuanced way, if needed.

(Ideally I'd be able to modify each shape in 2D while it updates automatically in the "assembled" version.)

4. Do Boolean subtractions where all the shapes meet others, in order to create the "slots" for assembly.

5. Some of the shapes will be meeting others at non-right angles. Because the laser cutter itself can't cut at an angle, I'd want to expand the resulting hole so that the front face equals the back face. (That way the hole still allows for the proper angle on final assembly.)

6. THEN I'd want to export just the face of each shape back into CorelDraw or Illustrator as a vector file, so that I can send them off to the laser cutter.

(7. The ability to add a bitmap to each face would be a big plus, but is not required.)

Is AutoCAD the best choice for doing this? And even if it's completely possible to do this in it, would another software accomplish it better? I ask because I'll be doing this over and over and over, so I need to make sure it's a process that's fast and even partially macro-able.

Many thanks,

~Z

What brand of LASER Cutter?

Did it come with some CAD Software?

AutoCAD is capable for what you want, but, if you have to learn from scratch you might want to go with Inventor, Solidworks, SolidEdge or PTC Creo instead, if 3D will be primary use.

No matter which you choose some training would definitely be of benefit, though plenty of tutorials around to get you started.