Help with simple sheet metal part

joesymonds

Can anyone help me with this sheet metal part? I'm sure its really straight forward.

I want the 40mm distance between the two holes on the folded part, to be 40.5mm when the flat pattern is created, not 40.477mm. How can I specify the folded and the flat pattern size rather than the bend determining it?

Clamp Elbow flat pattern.jpg

Here's the part file..

Clamp Elbow Right.ipt

Cheers, Joe

Clamp Elbow folded.jpg

The holes are concentric to the outer radii. If I use unfold and then try to change the distance between those centres I just get the 40.477mm driven dimension because the flat pattern size is driven by the bend radii.

I want the dimension on the flat pattern to drive the bend radii, not the other way round, if thats possible?

• 2 weeks later...

What difference does the dimensions on a flat pattern make?

That isn't how the part is used in an assembly? It is used in it's finished form, only the finished form dimensions should guide the design of the part.

Is that a test question (seems like I have seen that part here many many times in the past)?

No its not a test question. Its a part from a Manual Clamp assembly, the set of drawings are from a site called Inventor Wizard.

The flat pattern dimension is specified on the drawing, as well as the folded dimension. I think the dimension precision setting on the original drawing must be set to 1 decimal place and that's how they have got the 40.5 dimension rather than 40.477

Surely in sheet metal work you might have to tweak your folded design a little, as it might affect how many times you can fit your flat part onto a standard size sheet?

In this case it isn't really important and I think I solved my own question, Cheers though