Autocad Release 13 C3 Reinstallation

fjmuscar

I am a support tech trying to assist a client who has a son-in-law that is paralyzed from the neck down. This client has designed and built exercise equipment for his son-in-law with AutoCAD Release 13 C3 on an old PC running Windows XP. Viruses destroyed his installation and I am trying to reinstall the product with the CD, but the diskette is not readable. I have the serial number on the diskette. Does anyone have any suggestions other than purchasing a new copy of AutoCAD??? Any help would be appreciated as this exercise equipment has really helped his son-in-law. This is a true story, not a hoax. Need names and phone numbers, I would be happy to supply.

Presumably the drawing files themselves have been recovered?

Do you just need to view and print them or are there still modifications to be made?

To view and print you could download one of the free viewers available from Autodesk:

http://usa.autodesk.com/support/viewers/

If you still need to do some modifications then look at one of the free or low price Autocad clones, Draftsight, Bricscad, etc.

Which one depends if you want 2D or 3D

http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/overview/

https://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/

You cannot buy old versions of AutoCAD legally which means your client would have to buy the most recent release of AutoCAD (2D & 3D) which in the U.S. retails for almost $4,200. You could save some money and buy AutoCAD LT (2D) at about one quarter of the cost or take the advice previously given and download the free 2D CAD program called Draftsight. It is an AutoCAD-clone created by the makers of Solidworks by a company called Dassault Systemes. There is also a free 180 page Getting Started guide available for download too. Draftsight is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Do you know if the drawings are 2D or 3D?

Edited by ReMark

Nukecad,

This is the third time that I have tried to reply to your post. Installed BricsCAD and opend some of the drawings, they appear to be 2D, but I'm a novice at AutoCAD. Was able to partially repair the old installation but am gettting an error when it starts that says: Fatal Error: No authorized to run on this machine. If I knew which .ini file to change or what to modify in the registry, I could fix this. My client does not want to purchase new software, just to get the old one working that he has a valid license for. If I knew how to recreate the diskette that is not readable, I could go from there. Any ideas? Thanks, FJMUSCAR

ReMark,

Don't want to buy an old version of the software, just get the one that we have a license for to install and run. The drawings appear to me to be 2D, but I'm a novice at this. I installed a trial version of BricsCAD and opened some of them. Thanks for your reply. FJMUSCAR

Remark,

Downloaded and installed Draftsight and it worked great, as far as I could use it. However, my client found himself an Autodesk 2015 installation package in the meantime, so I abandoned trying to get the old version 13 installed properly. I installed the Autodesk 2015 on a Windows 7 PC and it seems to be working OK. He'll be here tomorrow to check it out. I really appreciate all of the assistance provided.

Your client is going to be in for one heck of a surprise as AutoCAD 2015 is a far cry from AutoCAD r13! He may want to check out some of the tutorials here or over at mycadsite.com to become more familiar with the program.