VIEWBASE dimension problem / bug?

Buzza

Hi.

I am having a problem using dimensions on a VIEWBASE entity. If I use the Linear Dim tool and select my first point, I am unable to snap my second point to the same 3D object within the model. It will let me snap to other 3D objects within the same VIEWBASE, or even projected a VIEWBASE.

I have had the issue on both 2014 & 2015 (upgraded today to see if fixed it).

If I create a new VIEWBASE the issue is still there.

It doesn't happen all the time. If I reopen AutoCAD I am then able to dimension properly for a while.

I have tried REGEN with no luck.

Has anyone else had this problem? or does someone know if there is anything to try.

Thanks

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• nestly

• Buzza

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I am dimensioning the 2D viewbase. But that is made up of multiple 3D objects. Say I start my dim on object A to find its length. I can not finish the dim on object A, but it will snap to B, C, D etc.

Can't say I've encountered the problem but then again I'm usually only dimensioning a single object. I'd have to test it. I have both 2014 and 2015 loaded on my computer.

A quick test using 2015 did not encounter a similar problem.

Can you attach a copy of a drawing that you are experiencing the problem in?

Edited by ReMark

Can't say I've encountered the problem but then again I'm usually only dimensioning a single object. I'd have to test it. I have both 2014 and 2015 loaded on my computer.

A quick test using 2015 did not encounter a similar problem.

Can you attach a copy of a drawing that you are experiencing the problem in?

I can't attached the original drawing but I have copied some parts of it to a new file, not been able to replicate the issue so I won't post it until it does.

I came in this morning and could Dimension fine. then about 20 minutes ago it stopped working as my original post. I made the following screen shots to help explain.

VB-4.jpg

After I have finished the command, I can not snap to that object again.

If I close CAD and open it again, it will work fine for a while.

If I turn the layer off that the object is on and then back on, I can snap to it, but only one time.

VB-1.jpg

VB-2.jpg

VB-3.jpg

Not able to snap to the same object twice? It doesn't necessarily have to even be the same point?

No, as you can see in the example, it will not let me accurately dimension the height of the channel for instance. It will not let me snap the second point to the bottom, I can however snap it to the bottom of the opposite as a work around, but it's a bit of a faf when I am doing a lot of dims.

Time for another test. I'll be back.8)

Unfortunately I was unable to reproduce your problem. If you look at the image below note the blue "donuts". They represent points on the objects where multiple picks (two or more) were made during the course of dimensioning.

ViewBaseDims.JPG

Have I adequately represented what you are trying to do or did I miss something?

BTW...are you up-to-date with any/all service packs for your version of AutoCAD?

Update:

The above was done using AutoCAD 2015. I next opened the drawing in AutoCAD 2014 and added several other dimensions, most of which used the same pick points for at least one end, and had no problem doing so.

I for one would really like to get my hands on one of your drawings to see what happens if I try dimensioning it on my computer. Attach something; it doesn't have to be the entire drawing. It can be anywhere from 6 to 10 objects.

Edited by ReMark

Turnabout is fair play so since I asked for a copy of your drawing I have attached a copy of my drawing. It's just something I slapped together quickly and bears no resemblance to reality. LoL

Drawing was saved in 2010 file format.

What I want to see is if you experience the same problem with my drawing as you are having with yours. BTW...I used a metric template not imperial.

Use your own dimension style too.

VB_Dims_Test.dwg

I can replicate the problem using AutoCAD2015 if the drawing view contains objects that have been mirrored. VIEWBASE would be a nice tool if not for all the bugs.

VIEWBASE-Bug-MirroredObjects.gif

I can replicate the problem using AutoCAD2015 if the drawing view contains objects that have been mirrored. VIEWBASE would be a nice tool if not for all the bugs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51846[/ATTACH]

That is the exact same problem. I have used the mirror command a lot. I am going to replicate what you have done.

"VIEWBASE would be a nice tool if not for all the bugs."

I haven't experienced one bug. Why are our experiences so different using the same version of AutoCAD?

"VIEWBASE would be a nice tool if not for all the bugs."

I haven't experienced one bug. Why are our experiences so different using the same version of AutoCAD?

Different workflows I suspect. With this particular issue I get inconsistent results, sometimes I can Osnap the 2nd dimension point to the same object... other times not.

You must have the magic touch then. Have you ever worn a watch that for some mysterious reason stopped working, replaced it with another only to have that one stop working too? I'm not kidding. I worked with a guy who had a rare substance in his bloodstream that basically killed watches. He had to resort to wearing a pocket watch on his belt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51846[/ATTACH]

I have just carried out the same steps but it worked on my machine. It's odd that it doesn't work for you straight away, where as on mine it works ok to begin with, then decides it doesn't want to work after a few hours.

What graphics card do you have?

Can you try the following:

create a box (A)

mirror it, box (B).

create a third box ©

When you dimension the view base now can you dim box © properly?

VB_Unbroken.jpg

Still can't break it.

Box 1 (see viewport upper right) was drawn first in 2D then mirrored to create box 2. Boxes 1 and 2 were then mirrored to create boxes 3 and 4. All four squares were extruded. Result is two boxes in front of two other boxes no matter the view.

Used VIEWBASE to create the one view seen in the lower left hand corner then went purposely crazy with dimensions. Note the fact that multiple dimensions share the same parts of some of the geometry. No problems encountered. Note: all picks were made at box corners or midpoints and not on any of the dimension geometry.

After some further testing, the VIEWBASE bug appears to be related to the elevation of the mirror line in reference to the mirrored objects. I manifests itself most frequently when both 2D and 3D Osnaps are running at the same time, but I can "force" the error when either (or neither) are "running" as well.

Initial analysis: If after starting the MIRROR command, you hover or pass over an object long enough for AutoCAD to acquire a tracking point that's at a different elevation than the point(s) that are used to mirror the object, the subsequent drawing views that project the object will be corrupt. I'll do a video later, which I'll also use to submit another Support Request/Bug Report.

Yes, I was referring to Osnap tracking, but it appears there are many ways to break/corrupt Drawing views with mirrored objects. It appears that once a mirrored object has been projected, ViewBase does not like to re-project it again if anything related to the object's elevation changes. demo video -->