M8 Nut Block

Guitte

Maybe there was something proprietary in one or both drawings he attached to his PM's? I wouldn't know as nothing really looked familiar to me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Guitte

• SLW210

• dbroada

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ReMark, I even asked another guy to see if this works. What we find, opening another drawing insert M8 Nut Block and it shows. In my current drawing M10 block shows but not the M8. Using QSelect i selected the layer and deleted all that has the fastener layer on. And tried to insert it again...nothing this was the response:

Command: _pasteclip Duplicate definition of block _Open30 ignored.

Duplicate definition of block M10 Nut Side ignored.

Duplicate definition of block M8 Nut Side ignored.

Specify insertion point:

Sorry for using the PM, i know it limits me to get help and for you guys its frustrating. But how secure is it to publish drawings on the forum? That is why I rather send you a PM.

I didn't solve the mystery, but what i have done worked! There must be something wrong with the drawing. I copied everything over to a new drawing template and i can see everything. :D

Command: _pasteclip Duplicate definition of block _Open30 ignored.

Duplicate definition of block M10 Nut Side ignored.

Duplicate definition of block M8 Nut Side ignored.

This implies you already have a (possibly bad) definition of M8 Nut & M10 Nut already in your current drawing. If that is so you will insert what is already in the drawing.

How does the definition become "bad"? It shows in my Design Center that M8 Nut Block does exist in the drawing, but the drawing doesn't show anywhere in the drawing. Can it be that the drawing became corrupt, because i copied everything in a new drawing template and everything so far shows.

There are many ways to make a bad block! One way is to start the BLOCK command, give a name and not select anything. There are warning messages but it is easy to just accept them without really reading what they are saying. Similarly when redefining a block (REFEDIT or BEDIT) it is possible to erase all or create a null text string.

Using Design Center you can see if the REDEFINE option gets you what you want.

It might be that at some point in the two attempts i cleaned the drawing, that included unnecessary layers, the drawing got "corrupt"? Or when i started to create blocks, somehow i messed up. Cause i created 3 blocks that didn't want to explode, a few days there after i found 2 of the 3 blocks did explode. Blocks are useful but, what one needs to know is the right way and the wrong way. Like your example dbroada. How to fix, when you went wrong? How do you create a block in a block, how do you prevent that from happening?

They don't teach you in the classroom, also not on tutorials the why's and dont's and the reason behind it. That you find in the practice area.

How to learn about Blocks?

-Your AutoCAD Help file.

-An aftermarket AutoCAD book.

-Online tutorials like those here at CADTutor and at the mycadsite.com website.

-YouTube videos (numerous).

-Ellen Finkelstein's website.

I could probably list several more options but you get the point.

"But how secure is it to publish drawings on the forum?"

It isn't secure at all.Any drawing or part of a drawing you attach to a post here can be downloaded by anyone and used for who knows what purpose. A few people will "borrow" anything they can get their hands on while others could care less. They tend to be the people who will provide you with the most help in my opinion.

BLOCK are exceedingly useful, providing everybody knows how to use them. Also relevant is knowing HOW they will be used.

As an example you may have a company logo as a block called Our_Logo. By doing this it is easy to redefine all your drawings when your logo changes. You can redraw the block Our_Logo once and redefine all existing drawings with the new block in a simple automated routine. Simple. But what if through contractual agreements SOME drawings need the old logo?

Another problem is two people creating their own blocks but giving them a common name. We had a case where we had a TS35 DIN rail used within blocks but one draughtsman had defined the rail block at 90 degrees to the other. That gave us two terminal blocks each with an opposing sub block. It was impossible to use the two terminal blocks in the same drawing! Not really, once the sub block was exploded the problem went away. Again, there are legitimate reasons for using sub blocks and this would normally be OK here but due to circumstances it wasn't.

I am sure there are tutorials on creating blocks but I would say if you are learning blocks, take your time and explore how they interact with each other. Try a few things, work out what you think is happening then go back and re-read the tutorial to see if they agree.

I understand, it is give and take. You trust people that they will respect your work by not using your drawings, not many in this world have integrity. If i had the knowledge to help others like you help me, i have respect for the other parties work. In a very long distance if you think about it, actions can lead to others discomforts. Therefor having that in the back of my head i wont use anyone's drawings. Ill rather ask if i may use their drawing, if the answer is no, ill respect that. Wont keep me from helping them again just because of a "no". That is why i prefer PM and most of the times you give the right solutions for the problem.:)

Most of the time when I receive a PM asking a question I will tell that person to please post in the public forums for two reasons.

1. More forum members get to see and respond to the question.

2. Response time may be quicker.

PM's really should be used for conversations that fall outside of the realm of what is covered here at CADTutor or for exchanging such things as personal email addresses and/or telephone numbers. On rare occasions I have agreed to receive drawings that a forum member does not wish to make public for security reasons. I always make sure to promise not to post such drawings to the public forum. I have always kept my word and I intend on doing so into the future when such situations arise.

As I stated, I can't get drawings from third party sites at work.

As ReMark stated, using email would be preferred to PMs and then actually sending the .dwg file not a link to third party site, if security/proprietary information is a reason for not posting in Public Forum.

All we need in the drawing would be the troublesome blocks, I hardly see where that would be a security or proprietary information problem for your company.

Guitte: Keep in mind forum members come from all over the world and many different companies so we pretty much all operate under widely varying rules. For example, our company blocks access to YouTube (which I would dearly love to have access to for AutoCAD videos) yet does not block access to Dropbox. Other companies may have the exact opposite setup or allow/block access to both.

Pay close attention to what SLW210 wrote here...

"All we need in the drawing would be the troublesome blocks..."

Bottom line: we do NOT need the entire drawing. Even a drawing with one troublesome block may be enough to diagnose/solve the problem.