M8 Nut Block

Guitte

Im getting some difficulties with "blocks". I copied and paste a M8 Nut block from a standard drawing sheet into the current drawing. In the design center of the current drawing it shows i have a M8 Nut block. I tried to drag it out of the design center into the drawing, nothing. I have used purge & overkill on both drawings and tried it again, no luck. Checked both drawings if layers exist, it does. Check if any layers are switch off, everything is on and still nothing. What am i doing wrong? :cry:

Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Guitte

• SLW210

• dbroada

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you try using Qselect to see if you could select and locate the block that way?

Did you try Zoom>Extents to see if got placed out of your field of view?

Can you post a portion of the drawing?

I have tried now Qselect, not sure what i should do with it, i did select the layer type. Nothing happened. Zoom i did try, still nothing. ReMark what is anonymous non-uniformly scaled blocks? I guess that is when you insert a block that it is shown bigger on ones drawing? I measured the block in block editor and all is fine.

Under Properties/Geometry/ Position X; Y and Z is 0; Under Scale X; Y and Z all are 1. That is when I go into Block Editor. Going out of Block Editor, the M8 Nut Block under Properties/Geometry/ Position X - 5720; Y - 8966 and Z - 0; Under Scale X; Y and Z are 1. Can that make a difference?

That sounds correct to me. Maybe when the block was created the originator unchecked "Allow Exploding" as previously mentioned by SLW210.

Attach a copy of a drawing as previously requested.

I opened your drawing, started the Insert command, found the reference for the M8 Nut Side block and inserted it. Clicked on it and did a List. Block name: M8 Nut Side. Exploded the block once. Clicked on it and did a List. Block name: M10 Nut Side. What? Exploded the block again. Now it's just a series of lines and arcs.

Same kind of thing happened with the M12 Head Side block. Explode the first time and the block name changes. Explode a second time and all I am left with is lines and arcs.

What do you want me to do next?

So far I have found nothing in the drawing you uploaded to Dropbox that I could not fully explode down to its basic entities. May I ask why you want to explode some of the blocks?

I have sent you a PM (Private Message) with drawing. Please just see if you can see the block in the drawing when inserting it.

After inserting the M8 Nut Side block twice I did as SLW210 suggested and ran QSELECT. AutoCAD discovered 10 instances of the block in the drawing.

Yes you may ask. Not sure if you will understand, lets try. The reason is because i have 3 levels, i create for each level their own detail in a block. 1st Floors window is connected to 2nd floors window detail, 2nd floor window is connected to 3rd floor window. The curtain wall is continuous, but the detail on each floor is different. 1st floors block detail includes the window that connects 1st and 2nd floor. 2nd floors block detail cant use 1st floors window, cause it is already in 1st floors block detail. Same with 3rd floor window. Hope this makes sense.

I invoked BEDIT and picked the M8 Nut Side block from the list of blocks in the drawing. When the block editor opened there was nothing to be seen. Apparently the objects were erased. That's why AutoCAD could find where each "block" was inserted using QSELECT but you could not see the block because there was nothing to see. You might want to fix that.

That is the problem, how do i fix something that i cant see? Don't understand. I copied and paste, and nothing to see, then to prevent overlapping i did undo. How come the design center see the block, but not the drawing. :glare:

Erase all instances of the block you can't see using QSELECT. Purge the now unreferenced block definition. Save the drawing. Reinsert the block.

LostInSpace.jpg

Here are the eight blocks you inserted that cannot be seen. Two are literally way off in space on either side of the main group of geometry. I've drawn a line from the insertion point of each back to 0,0. I put one big circle around the remaining six blocks that are grouped in the center of your geometry.

How did I "see" your blocks? I used BEDIT as previously mentioned and drew a circle with a radius of 100 with its center located at 0,0 then changed the color to red. I saved this edited block prior to closing BEDIT. Using QSELECT it was easy to find the two "lost in space" blocks and the other six were even easier to spot. That's how one can see the unseeable. Understand?

Guitte: Why are you sending me copies of drawings attached to private messages? To get the most help from the widest range of forum members the drawings should be attached to posts in this thread. Now, as a matter of personal policy, I never share anything sent to me via PM so there is no need to wonder if I will attach the drawings to one of my posts but you really should consider sharing them with all of us not just me.

Regarding the second of such drawings I found my own workaround. I simply opened the block called Bottom Detail using BEDIT and invoked the Copy with basepoint option. I closed BEDIT without saving my changes (there were none anyway) then I pasted the geometry back into the drawing. From there it can be edited as needed.

Stop sending Private Messages please, just post your drawing to this thread as an attachment, I can't open files from dropbox, so that is of no use to me.