Upgrading Graphics, which card?

Buzza

well I have do nothing but 3nd molding and a lot of rendering with AutoCAD, I had an older gforce which crapped out but was better then the 60.00 card i'm using now.

reading up on it as well the difference between the Quadro or firepro Cad cards the gforce gaming cards would be the Gaming Crads are set for fast rendering lower resolutions while the other is higher resolutions less speed for renderings.

the greater the memory in the GPU card and the speed of that memory as well as the ram memory in the pc and the virtual drive speed. in addition to the speed of the processor and the number of cores for rendering tasks.

I guess there is a reason why a Quadro can sell for 5000.00 and a top end gaming GPU for maybe 1200.00.

Since your only concerned with the GUP card at this time I would look for the most page memory and the fastest speed memory used for it.

3d rendering is dependent on the card for sure.

Holding page memory for large drawings should be considered as well as speed which the card does.

Personally I would not look for a gaming CPU for Cad.

as I would want high resolution drawing renders.

which the gaming are set up as I said for FPS not HDTV.

IMO

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• RobDraw

3D rendering speed is more a function of processor speed and physical RAM than it is of the graphics card. BTW....your post should read GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) not GUP. And as far as I know there is no such thing as a gaming CPU. The CPU doesn't distinguish between running a word processor, AutoCAD and/or World of Warcraft. And finally, bus speed is more important than read/write to disk operations which are typically slow by comparison.

Correct unless the rendering engine does indeed use the GPU for rendering which a few do infact use. One needs to be sure which they use before spec'ing new hardware.

AutoCAD does not use the gpu for rendering but for screen redraws.

Just saying the Cad cards or workstation graphics cards are setup for better resolution while the Gaming cards are designed for faster FPS.

Which is why the workstation cards are not as good for gaming.

when your rendering for cad your not worried about how fast as much as how well it looks when it's done.

in Gaming it's the other way around.

as well the interlacing of multicore processers ( not sure if the new AutoCAD uses this even) effects the RAM page memory speed in processing the data.

an 8 core processer can process 8 threads to one in a single core processor.

so it can draw 8 pages of Ram page memory to one in speed.

as you were saying AutoCAD uses RAM page memory not the GPU memory for rendering.

The actual drawing of the DWG is effected by the GPU memory so the more GPU memory the less likely a crash will occur trying to access virtual memory when this memory is used.

as well as the speed of the hard drive when this happens as well resulting in a speed differential between the Ram the CPU and the HD.

Ram runs at the slowest Speed of all the Memory installed.

3d rendering is dependent on the card for sure.

When you say "rendering" are you referring to the process of creating a final image for print or are you talking about screen display while working? Rendering output and screen display/screen redraw are two completely different things. The quality of the rendered output is determined by the render engine and render settings you choose, not by what video card you're using. The video card is definitely important when it comes to working with your models on screen, but not important when it comes to final rendered output.