Auto Cad Fonts

crdelahoz

I am setting up a file with a certain type style (Gotham Bold) that I created in Adobe Illustrator to send to a manufacturer for production of 1.5" letters that will be routed out of aluminum.

My problem is that I need to have the file sent as a dwg or cad file so that his software can read it. The difficulty with that is that I cannot seem to figure out how to convert the type style into gotham bold in cad and then ultimately make it a shape so that he can read it with his software.

I have the 2014 student edition and need help!

Please let me know

There isn't a conversion process per se. You could use the AutoCAD Express Tools command to explode the text. Depending on how it was created it may end up as lines and arcs or could end up as regions which would have to be exploded yet again.

ok, i see. The problem is that the Gotham Bold font (when I change to the font style) is not showing up. Like a ghost text. The bounding box is there, but the actual text isnt. This exploded text process will fix that?

thank you for the help sir!

You did the work in Illustrator and need to save it as a dwg file, correct? If so in Illustrator right click on the text and select create outlines. Then ungroup the items. Export out to a DWG. This should open just fine in AutoCAD (does on my end). I hope this is what you are asking. ;)

Sean

There is a ttf explode routine by one of the guys who posts here I have it at work, hopefully he will read this Geometry text something I used it once trying to create a particular font that I could not find.

There is this:

https://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/AMECH/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3aText-to-Geometry%3aen

though, I'm not sure how useful it will be to the OP's situation. I can't test Gotham Bold as it is a rather costly font.

If it turns out that the 'Text To Geometry' does work, the resulting geometry would probably need to be 'Flatten'ed to be useful for the router's CAM package.

I can't test Gotham Bold as it is a rather costly font.

Are the fonts that you pay for any better than the ones that are free to download? My Google search showed half a dozen free download sites for Gotham Bold on the first page.

I did see those as well. I did not download the font due to possible copyright infringement. this message appeared on one of the free font sites:

Sorry, this font has been deleted at the request of copyright owner Hoefler & Frere-Jones

f700es has the correct solution in Post #6, if the OP is already using Illustrator to begin with.

Haven't used it in quite some time, but SEANT's "Text to Geometry" routine is top notch.

Since it appears AutoCAD isn't seeing the font, is AutoCAD on the same machine the font was installed?