Problem importing files into Solidworks

TopHat

This is my first post, so hello all!

I'm trying to get a file from Rhino to work in Solidworks.

I am a 3d artist, so i built the file in 3d studio and brought that file into rhino (after a ton of work converting it over into a solid) I do not have solid works, so I can't check the file myself, but I have an AutoCad Demo (30 day trial) as well as various other CAD-format viewers like FreeCAD and a 30-day trial of Inventor.

So far, our middle-man who gives the files to a company in china has been very unresponsive and vague and seems to not speak engineering-lingo or art-lingo, so his email was "I can't open it in solid works" experience with him tells me that I won't get a better answer than that, and I'll have to wait 2-4 days for the privilege (whether to work with him or not is not my choice unfortunately)

So can anyone tell me, is there any valid reason a solid-model that opens in AutoCad, FREECAD, Rhino, Inventor, and 2 other no-name model viewers wouldn't open in SolidWorks?

I have a pile of different file types. x_t, Iges, Rhino2,3,4,5 , DXF, DWG, SAT, and i think a few more.

I know it's an odd question, but I'm in a hard spot here. Any opinions or suggestions would be great.

"client doesn't know how to use Solidworks or doesn't actually have Solidworks"

-This would be my guess.

Would anyone who has SolidWorks be kind enough to try to open one of these files? I'm on a Mac, so no demo and I don't have the RAM needed to run wine or bootcamp.

The "middle man" has Solidworks so why isn't he helping you?

What's the file type and size that you have? There is a file size limit here so if it is too large you'll have to make use of a file sharing service.

So far I've tangoed with the middleman for a month, waiting 2-4 days for email responses. When he does respond, he gives vague non-techical non-answers. I have no idea whether he needs NURBs, Polymesh, or Solid Model.. whether he needs it separated into component pieces or merged into continuous mesh. He hasn't come out and said "I have no idea what NURBs is" but he just ignores technical questions.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out if he's a colossal moron or if there's something wrong with my files and how to fix them if there is.

The files are fairly large, but I can put them on a dropbox.

I'd rather not talk about him publicly, I'll PM you if you want to know. It wouldn't be hard to guess who I am and get bit on the arse if gave details.

OK.

From what I have read IGES would be the best file format to give the middleman. But even if you give him a STEP or STL file you won't be able to get a features history. Not sure how important that may be on the other end.

Solidworks will import a Rhino version 4.0 .3dm file type.

Well I'm pretty sure features history won't exist. I don't know alot about it, but i know it gives specific details about the modification history of objects. The 3d package files generally only export vertex/face/normal information and sometimes textures/materials.

Thanks for that info. Hopefully that will work for him. It seems I can't PM though yet. I'm still a "newbie" and under 10 posts.

He should be able to import either of the file types mentioned. If he can't then I can only assume he doesn't know the program all that well. Should it come to that then venture over to the Solidworks forums and ask if someone can import the file you have and save it for you in a Solidworks file type. Anyone, even if they do not own a copy of Solidworks or even use it, can join the forum and ask questions which I think is pretty nice.