Printing a multi-page spread in single layout tab?

YOW14

Hello All,

I have searched through the forums and the web in general and have not found a solution quite matching my quandary.

The attempt or desire is to be able to print a two page 'spread from a single tab layout ... I have currently created two Page Setups, one for the left hand page and one for the right hand page and therefore have to print each layout tab twice - this works but is not very efficient.

Generally I do set up one drawing per layout tab but this situation is a little different. I am creating a drawing file with 'Data Sheets' - 30 data sheets, each in its own layout tab with a two 8.5 x 11 page spread per layout tab.

The file is for the development of a functional program which as you can imagine will be evolving over a period of time. To address this, page one of the spread describes a given portion of the program and page two presents a schematic portion of that floor plan/relationship via a viewport.

I am using AutoCAD 2013 in a Windows 7 machine.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YOW14

• RobDraw

• BIGAL

• maratovich

Brilliant, I did not realize that layouts can be listed multiple times, thank you for your response.

But, of course there is a but ;), is it possible when printing PDFs, to have the twice listed layout automatically combine as one PDF file (with two pages of course)?

Not from AutoCAD.

You could could create one two page PDF. But, for multiple two page PDFs, you would have to publish multiple times.

Edited by RobDraw
Rethinking...

Hi, Thanks for the link. I took a look and was a bit overwhelmed .... I guess I should state that I have been using AutoCAD for a couple of years and am always trying to find better and more efficient ways of using the program. That said, my experience is limited at best and certainly in regards to using/inserting/creating LISPs etc...

So after that bit of verbiage ... May I be so bold as to request guidance/direction in how to approach the application of this LISP?

And in advance, many thanks.

Ok this routines opens each layout and creates a pdf using dwgname + layout name, the method used here is to use a window for the plot area -6,-6 807,560 and then it scales it 1/2 size "1=2" as our title sheet is a A1 size but we are printing on A3.

If you type -plot on command line you will see all the steps that are shown in the code for you its just a case of changing the values to suit your title block and scale. For a left and right handed you wouldcopy the routine save as left and right and change the window offsets to suit. We always have our title block at 0,0 not some random location else it will not work.

It could be changed to do L only, L+R or R only.

Hi,

This 'routine' would first have to be 'inserted' into AutoCAD I presume? The question then would how and where ...

Following the steps after entering '-Plot' results in single PDF print at half size on a Tabloid sized PDF - I chose Tabloid as two Letter size pages is what I wish to print to PDF.

I have attached a drawing so that you can see the result I am attempting to achieve.

Again, I thank you in advance for your assistance!

CadTutor-DataSheet 002.dwg

I have changed the plot part of the code to match a A4 sheet as per your dgw you will need to make a 2nd one for the second sheet. To run open notepad copy and paste code to it then save as say plotpdfL.lsp put somewhere were you know. To run type Appload then pick plotpdfL. The only thing that you should change is the CTB file name

; plotpdf2 ver 2 with filename and directory as output oct 2011

(PROMPT ".....PRINTING DRAWING TO pdf's....")

(setvar "cmddia" 0)
(setvar "filedia" 0)
(setq plotabs nil) ; in case run before

(setq doc (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object)))
(vlax-for lay (vla-get-Layouts doc)
 (setq plotabs (cons (vla-get-name lay) plotabs))
)

(setq dwgname (GETVAR "dwgname"))
(setq len (strlen dwgname))
(setq dwgname (substr dwgname 1 (- len 4)))

(setq plottablist (acad_strlsort plotabs))

(setq len (length plottablist))
(setq x 0)

(repeat len
 (setq name (nth x plottablist))
 (princ name)
(setq pdfname (strcat (getvar "dwgprefix") dwgname "-" name))

(if (/= name "Model")
   (progn
     (setvar "ctab" name)
(setvar "textfill" 1)

[color="red"](COMMAND "-PLOT"  "Y"  "" "dwg to Pdf"
       "A4" "m"    "POTRAIT"  "N"   "W"  "0,0"    "215,279" "1=1"  "C"
       "y"	  "yourctb.ctb" "Y"	"n"    "n"    "n"   pdfName "N" "y"      ) ; for right use 0,215 431,279
   )[/color]
 )
 (setq x (+ x 1))

)
(setvar "cmddia" 1)
(setvar "filedia" 1)
(setq DWGNAME nil
     LEN nil
     NAME nil
     PLOTTABLIST nil) 
(princ)

Hi Bigal,

I am going to sound a little dense ... I have copied the code you kindly created, changed the CTB and 'Apploaded' it.

Unfortunately I am not sure as to the next step? I followed the instructions after typing '-plot' in the command line but the output (PDF print) is still a single page - in this case the left side.

You mentioned creating code for a second sheet ... do you mean for another layout or for the same layout but the second page? I did see in the code that the left page and right page have both been identified (upper and lower plot points for both), this would suggest that two PDFs would be printed from this print command, correct?

You had also mentioned: "It could be changed to do L only, L+R or R only" I did not find this option in the '-plot' instructions.

Thank you again for taking the time to walk me through this.

I took a quick look at the forum link maratovich posted; does this program work for tab layouts as well? The 'data sheets' I set up are in paper space (tab layout) and not in model space

Bigal; I want to be able to print the left and right side simultaneously with a 2 page PDF as outcome ...

The site states that it is for model space. I did not see anything about layouts.

You are wrong. It is written on top next to the name of the program.

The program works with layouts.

That was my impression as well ... but I thought I'd ask, thanks.

Everything is up and running.

Here is a video how to print your files.

You have to remember that most of us are looking at a translation. The translator does not know to use standard AutoCAD terms and the meaning gets lost.

For some reason it just looks sketchy to me. I don't have a need for it so I may be looking at it with some prejudice.

You are wrong. It is written on top next to the name of the program.

The program works with layouts.

Everything is up and running.

Here is a video how to print your files.

Brilliant ... thank you for the video demonstration. You show that multiple pages in a layout can be combined into a single PDF - exactly what I was looking for. I imagine that I can then 'batch numerous layouts containing multiple pages so that each layout prints a two page PDF ...

One concern ... if I may be so bold, is that the app file and setup is in Russian and so there is potentially the risk of downloading and installing something without fully understanding what it is ... (as RobDraw suggests - could be sketchy - assuming that is what was meant).