Simple 3D Roof...

idk14

Well, i am embarassed but i need to ask for help, i am making a simple house with the roof in /\ like normal ones, and like always after you copied the roof on one side upper with a bit more it gets over the roof and when i use mirror option to have the same on the other side, the two roofs intersect in the middle up, and i don't know how to use the slice command to make it a perfect /\ not like in the photo below.. please help me, i am a begginner and i don't know how to use the slice on the roof i made..

q8nvnOt.jpg?1

As you can see in the image above, i already tryed to slice the left part but it didn't went so good :D if you need more details about how i made the roof, please ask..

Please help me.. pff :(

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• idk14

• nestly

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not recreate the roof profile in 2D then Extrude or Presspull it the length of the house. No cutting involved.

Well.. i creaded the roof as a rectangle and then extruded it outside and then copied it up in the y axis with 120mm and untill the roof goes over the edge and then i used union to unite the two roofs and used mirror to have the same thing on the other side and now i am stuck at the slicing part.. in 2d i should have made a rectangle from the left vision as in the photo above and then extrude it for 2000mm same as the house ? to have the rectangle all over the roof or how?

But do you got any tips of how to use the slice command?

You seem to be hung up on doing one side of the roof at a time then mirroring it. I'm saying create a 2D profile of the entire end view of the roof and either extrude it (if it is a closed polyline) or use the presspull command to create the entire roof.

If you want to use the SLICE command then make sure to use the option Surface or Object.

In general, I agree with ReMark that it may be better to complete in 2D then EXTRUDE, but concerning your original question, simply SLICE using the same reference point(s) you used to MIRROR.

SLICE.gif

Was SLICE available in AutoCAD 2004?

Yes, but I should have tested prior to posting my previous instructions as SLICE works a bit different in 2004-2005 than shown in my previous post. Apparently, you can't specify the slice plane by merely clicking two points in an Orthogonal view, I had to specify the 3rd point as 0,0,1. Additionally, in 2005, I could not just hit a 2nd time to keep both sides... I had to enter "B" to make SLICE keep both sides. Been a long time since I did any 3D in that version... it doesn't even have transparent orbit (Shift+Middle button) :shock:

Yes, but I should have tested prior to posting my previous instructions as SLICE works a bit different in 2004-2005 than shown in my previous post. Apparently, you can't specify the slice plane by merely clicking two points in an Orthogonal view, I had to specify the 3rd point as 0,0,1. Additionally, in 2005, I could not just hit a 2nd time to keep both sides... I had to enter "B" to make SLICE keep both sides. Been a long time since I did any 3D in that version... it doesn't even have transparent orbit (Shift+Middle button) :shock:

Yeah, i know, its a ****ty pc... but i am at work and i already asked the it man if he can put me the Autocad 2014 or 2015, at home i got the 2015 one, but at work... the 2004.. i can't even exercise what i do home with what i will do at work since they are very very different... and the it man told me he need to change the whole computer to put on the autocad 2014 like my collegue have... cause my pc at work is ****, not even a dual core... not talking about rams lol :D.. its sad... it seems i can only work in newer versions at home o_O

In general, I agree with ReMark that it may be better to complete in 2D then EXTRUDE, but concerning your original question, simply SLICE using the same reference point(s) you used to MIRROR.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51935[/ATTACH]

So with your answer above mine two, this gif is not correctly because its done in a newer version right?

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Nestly explained in his last post which things you would need to do differently in 2004, than in his video,

and how to do them using 2004.

You seem to be hung up on doing one side of the roof at a time then mirroring it. I'm saying create a 2D profile of the entire end view of the roof and either extrude it (if it is a closed polyline) or use the presspull command to create the entire roof.

If you want to use the SLICE command then make sure to use the option Surface or Object.

Btw, i already have the house made, how could i make only the roof in 2d? i used ucs to set my personal view to create the rectangle over the roof but .. here,, take a look..

tL9aH3U.jpg?1

I had to change the wcs so i can create the rectangle over the roof, but when i extrude it i got the same problem as into the 3d one, i have to copy it over in the y axis with 120mm so it can go over the edge.. take a look here

Not copied

qlhC5VC.jpg

Copied

10o6wxW.jpg

And here comes my problem, i cannot create the thing in 2d since i got the walls in 3d, cause i cannot make half of the |\ of the roof since i am on different view and if i change the view i will not be able to go with the polyline on the top of the wall that has /\ shape, so.. what can i do do make it in 2d?

Yeah, i did it from the same view as in the photo i made on the first post in this thread, i practically made something like a rectangle, was not actually a rectangle cause it had not the angles at 90 degrees, i made it like that so i would not need to slice, then i extruded it for 2000 units, same as the lenght of the house and then mirror'ed the same on the other side and "Union"ed them togheter.. it was pretty fast, thanks for the suggestion about the 2d :D

You could have saved yourself a couple of steps leaving out Mirror and Union had you made the complete front profile as one continuous polyline profile then extruded it. Don't make extra work for yourself.

You could have saved yourself a couple of steps leaving out Mirror and Union had you made the complete front profile as one continuous polyline profile then extruded it. Don't make extra work for yourself.

I could have not do that man, the /\ of the walls on the left and the right of the house are already extruded, i cannot draw with polyline on the wall heigh then go up to the top of the /\ of the wall then go down again to the other sides at height of the wall, or could i really do that? :o ....

Yes, it can be done. It's all a matter of just knowing how to do it. Short of that, the roof profile could be drawn in 2D (top down view) then rotated into the correct orientation just by changing your UCS then using the Rotate command. I know because I've done it that way in the past too.

Damn, is there any tutorial on this? like the "Gif" the other member posted here to help me about slice? i am curious on how could i make it entirely in one piece in 2d if my walls are already extruded ..