Simple 3D Roof...

idk14

ExtrudedRoof.jpg

Example of a 3D roof created by extruding a single, continuous, polyline profile.

Draw it flat.

Rotate it.

Extrude it.

You just have to know how to change the orientation of your UCS.

Or....

Draw it flat, extrude it THEN rotate it.

Either way the result is the same.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• idk14

• nestly

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes i understood what you mean but i am shocked on how could you draw the roof in one piece since the roof must be divided on two planes, i mean if i do a rectangle and extrude it, it will only be one plane, it will not be another one on the other side, i don't know if i make myself explained on what am i shocked about lol :D

But if you make it in 2d, as a rectangle, then extrude it, if you extrude it, it will only be one "Cube" if you can tell that, it will not have two planes like this /\, only one rectangle extruded .. i don't know if you understand me what i mean, could you help me with some photos on what do you mean?

Look at my roof profile. It isn't a rectangle; it's an upside-down "V". Your method involves more work; mine involves less. Who do you think will finish first?

So let me understand, you first made a simple upside down V then simply rotated it and from "V" you turned it into a "/\" and then change the ucs and extrude it? thats all? or i missed somehing? i will try too, to see if i can do it, and after the roof is finished ill "Move' it to the walls of the house or what? :D

You are very helpfull, thank you so much

That's about it in a nutshell. Once you've done it this way you'll wonder why you used mirror, union and possibly slice. Working smarter does not necessarily require you to work harder.

Aaand, i am blocked here.. 8HkvGSB.jpg in any angle i rotate it, its still flat, it does not go up, from the top down view to the "For esample" left view, so i can extrude it to the length of the house, it still stays on the flat view.. and if i extrude it... its on different view than the one of the house, it will go trought the floor.. do i need to change the ucs before roation ?

The orientation of your UCS has to change in order for you to rotate the roof the way it needs to be so it matches up with the orientation of the house. The other option is to change your UCS first then draw the roof right on the top of the walls themselves and extrude it. As you already have found out AutoCAD gives us many ways to accomplish the same task.

The orientation of your UCS has to change in order for you to rotate the roof the way it needs to be so it matches up with the orientation of the house. The other option is to change your UCS first then draw the roof right on the top of the walls themselves and extrude it. As you already have found out AutoCAD gives us many ways to accomplish the same task.

Yes, i noticed that, i need to have the good ucs to be able to rotate the roof in the good position to be good on the walls, so.. it seems i just have to try to see where the X should be pointed from the top down view and where the Y should be pointed.. to be able to rotate it, anyways, yes, as you told me, stupid me, like i did it from the left view only half then mirror'ed the other half, i could have done the both sides in one piece then extrude it and be finished but i was not thinking about that, thanks for your help, one last question is, if you can tell me where was pointed your X and your Y from the top down view when you changed ucs for the rotation that would help me so much to understand better the orientation of the ucs, thanks for your help untill now :shock:

The best was to visualize what is happening to your UCS is to 1) Have the UCSICON turned on and 2) Utilize one of the four standard isometric views (I prefer the SE Isometric). When I start I am in the normal 2D view which is the default for any new drawing. Y is pointing towards the top of my screen, X points to the right and Z is coming straight out of the screen at me. I switch to my isometric view. I first rotate the UCS so X is pointing to the lower right hand corner of my screen and Z is pointing to the lower left hand corner of my screen. Kind of like this:

USC Orient 1.jpg

Next I rotate my UCS so it looks like this:

UCS Orient 2.jpg

I'm still old school and orient my UCS via the keyboard. I've done it so often this way I don't even have to look down at my keyboard to see what I am typing. There are versions of AutoCAD that have a feature called the Dynamic UCS where the UCS can be reoriented virtually on-the-fly. AutoCAD 2015 has this feature as well as a few previous releases. Can't recall when it was introduced but I could readily find out for you.

Damn ReMark you are so good :D i finally made it to do it your way too :D i'm so excited lol, and happy, thanks for all your help, you know so much about autocad :shock:

After doing these steps i just need to "Move" the roof over the walls right?

Yes, you'll have to move the roof over to the walls.

Thank you for your kind words. I know a few things about AutoCAD but not nearly as much as some here. Like you I learn something new each day.

I tryed to move it with no success lol, i can move it untill its very very very near to the walls, but when i want to put it over the walls, from a perspective view, ill put it and from that view i see it over the walls but when i change to 3d orbit, man,, for esample, if, from the left view ill put the roof on the walls, i see like it would be there, on the walls, but when i change to 3d orbit and turn around the house, i realize that it wasn't on the walls (3d is so confusing :D), i just saw it there from the "Left" view, but it was so far from the house that i losted it, then again 2d view and moved it near the house and tryed but no success, its like when i put it on the walls, it runs so far from the house lol :Dis there any command to take the roof and put it there directly? i use the "Move" command.. :cry:

move (with snaps on) should do it.

try using an ISO view, but ORBIT the view a bit to make it not quite ISO view (sometimes lines get hidden behind others with a plain ISO view).

switch all your snaps on, select all the roof, choose MOVE, select a good basepoint for the move (EG a roof corner)

As Mike suggested try moving while in an isometric view and definitely use your OSnaps. It is not against the law to set up a couple of temporary construction lines to assist you when moving the roof since it overhangs the walls of your house.

It is not against the law to set up a couple of temporary construction lines to assist you when moving the roof since it overhangs the walls of your house.

Hmmm, i never used the construction lines, i don't even know at what are they usefull, i tryed to use them but they only draw a straight line at infinite, yes that could help me, thanks, i will try :D