My first Stairs :D

idk14

Thank you for all the constructive criticism informations guys, i will talk to my father too and will start to work on another project, i will do that Remark, thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• idk14

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• Handiman

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for all the constructive criticism informations guys, i will talk to my father too and will start to work on another project, i will do that Remark, thanks
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you currently? I take it you're still pretty young?

One thing to consider is that "constructive criticism" should be taken lightly here. I saw a couple posts back you seemed to have gotten frustrated a bit. Lots of men and women here on CADTutor have been using CAD software and in the design and engineering industry for decades. If you're just getting started and you're still in your youth, then by the looks of your CAD file you are way ahead of the game. I remember 14 years ago when my 3D CAD design efforts weren't even half as good as your stair project. It takes time and experience to really grasp the engineering and physics behind designs.

Most people who are layman when it comes to architectural, structural or any other related engineering with buildings usually don't understand how much thought and effort go into even the most simplest of designs, such as your stair project. There are so many invisible characteristics in engineering because what you "see" doesn't necessarily tell you "how it got there" in the final object constructed. The best position to be in if you're designing something and sharing with us, is to expect lots of comments from a practical and realistic perspective. Your design is schematic at best. But that doesn't mean you can't let all us help you build off that schematic idea into a real-world shop drawing that can be used in pricing material and dimensionally accurate for construction.

We all certainly can help you along the way but you must be willing to remain humble. Again, your stair project (beings your first one) is great in terms of the use of AutoCAD. But this absolutely cannot be used for construction... kids would fall through the balusters and people 150lbs or heavier would bend and break the stringers!! haha, but not to worry. It's a starting point and keep at it with the members of this forum and you'll have your stair project good to go in no time.

-Tannar 8)

Hello Tannar, i am 21 years old, maybe one thing made you think i am younger is because i sayd that i will call my father, but i mean that i call him to consult with him, because he worked in wood and roofs and all that from over 20 years, sadly now, he is in Germany and i am in Romania, if he would be here with me, i would not be here on this forum to post for help, but, since i am alone, i requested your help, sure, i accept all criticisms from everyone because i will improve my stairs with them, thanks to you, the community, but i felt a bit insulted on what Remark told me some few posts above because it sounded he made me ignorant, but its not that, i just don't understand perfectly english , but i am open on all the ideas, as i stated in my first post, i sayd "please don't laugh too hard" why did i sayd that? Cause i expected it to be so bad that i was a bit embarased to show it, but i needed to do that to be able to improve it, and i am amazed that you and Remark told me its actually pretty good for a beginner, so guys, i am open to all the ideas, let them come!!

Edited by idk14

The stairs don't look too safe to me. What kind of footing will you be using for the columns?

How exactly is the top landing to be connected to the existing structure?

Why is there no railing on the back side of the first landing?

The stairs won't be able to take much eccentric loading.

Well, the back of the first landing, there is a wall, and i will be making it next to the wall so, i think there is no need of railing on the back if there is a wall, anyways i will work on another stairs and will draw a new one and post here, after i get informed on how are they made in my country :)

The top landing will be connected to the existing terrace thats why i sayd there is an idea to come with two beams from my house to under the top landing, but i talked to a man, that is specialized on Wood construction with diploma and he gave me another idea of how to "Make safe" the top landing.

Well, make a hole in the "Already existing" in the cement, about 30-40 cm and then ill put them straight in vertical and all 4 columns will be pretty safe and steady..

A connection on one side to a building is called a ledger board and for any platform or deck to be safe, under load, it must be properly lagged into the wall it abuts. Even here in the U.S. there have been instances where a deck or platform has failed and people have gotten killed or seriously injured due to either faulty workmanship or a lack of understanding when it comes to how important this connection is.

I nearly collapsed on the spot reading this post.

Even by living in where you are, there must be some form of building standards you have to adhere to.

Has Romaina joined the European Union?