My first Stairs :D

idk14

ok guys, don't laugh too much, they are my first stairs made in AutoCad :D, 2004 btw, i want your opinion since i will use this exact model to build my stairs from my house that goes to my future "Attic"? room, i am not sure that's the word, i will attach the dwg file here, but i think you guys need autocad 2004 to open it i am not sure.. well, here it is..

I will post some photos to explain my work too.. Thanks :P

Stairs.dwg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• idk14

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• Handiman

Top Posters In This Topic

IT WILL ALL BE MADE FROM WOOD

I made the photos from both two sides so you can see both of them

QHmBhGG.png

The four "Foots" if i can say that, are 150mm x 150mm, they are big and they need to because they sustain nearly the whole thing, in the upper side as you can see there are two more big wood beams that are coming from my house wall, under the upper platform so it will sustain the whole thing up there, they are the same as the other ones 150mm x 150mm

Ql8MdvA.png

Not sure about the wood beams that are sustaining the stairs, not sure if i done that correctly, do i need to draw the stairs from the inside of the beams or it is correct like what i made them?

One last photo

oxalIYH.jpg

Not sure if all this is stable, i have made big beams that sustain the whole thing.. what are your opinions guys? :)

the beams holding the stairs are only supported at the ends? you need to have this properly designed by a structural consultant.

or is this just a visualisation?

the beams holding the stairs are only supported at the ends?

you need to have this properly designed by a structural consultant.

Too much moneys lol :D it is over 1000 euros to do that, and i am not gonna do that, damn you are right, i should put some beams to support the ones that holds the stairs, thanks, you see? this is why i posted here, i get advices and improve the stairs, thanks for your "Constructive criticism" :D , more if you have :D

My father worked and still works in cunstructions but now its in Germany and i worked too with him for 5 years so i know to work with the wood, but sometimes there are details that i do not see, like this one you told me about, thanks again :D

Edited by idk14

You have large empty spaces in railings, someone smaller kid may fall playing around those handrails... In literature max space between vertical bars on railing should be 150mm... Also you need to interpolate long wood beams carrying step plates... Max length of wooden beam should be 4.5m... Think on what are those beams put to be stable... You have to have orthogonal supporting beams that are carrying wooden slab as also stairs beams... Those supporting beams have to be carried by columns or walls, or something third if its free space construction (maybe they can be hang on cables, chains that are hanging from top of attic construction that was properly constructed to accept new weight that is to be transfer to outer column or wall construction of house, if its house stair like you've explained)...

The "foots" as you refer to them would be posts or columns. There is no cross-bracing or anything tying them together as a single structure.

The beams under the stair treads would be stringers. Your stringers aren't deep enough.

There is no support under the front edge of the stair treads (steps) themselves and how were you goig to attach them to the stringers? Nails? Screws? Glue?

Yes, you'll need beams under each of the two landings and as previously stated the openings in the railing are way to large and would never meet the building code.

As a first attempt you did a good job but it is far from complete. I'd recommend that you buy or borrow from the library a book about architectural drafting and design. It should have a section about the proper construction of wood stairs.

(maybe they can be hang on cables, chains that are hanging from top of attic construction that was properly constructed to accept new weight that is to be transfer to outer column or wall construction of house, if its house stair like you've explained)...

Yes, the attic is done right, my father constructed it, its ok, i have corrected the stairs, please correct me again one something if its not done properly, there is a distance of 250mm between vertical bars on railing.. still not 150mm but i think 250mm its ok too, right? and i have added 100mm x 100mm wooden beams to support the first floor of wooden beams that are carrying the steps and for the second floor, i am thinking of puttin some 150mm x 150mm wooden beams like ive done here, please tell me more constructive criticisms :D thanks for supporting

Lf9X3Bx.png

PPLVokT.png

Other tips ? from you masters of AutoCad :D

There is no support under the front edge of the stair treads (steps) themselves and how were you goig to attach them to the stringers? Nails? Screws? Glue?

Yeah, i seen that i did wrong, let me correct myself, i will shortly post a photo on how am i gonna modifi the stairs :D

Thanks for the constructive criticisms :D

Ok ReMark, what do you say about this idea, i am thinking to make them like this

Axa9Xfa.png

Now they will be supported in the middle, and about the attaching part, i am gonna cut a bit in the beam, not so much, about 20mm or something and then, i will supoprt them abit more with some metal corners, let me show you, under the steps here:

G3r07JP.png

I will put metal corners, thats something like this in my country

3L8mG82.jpg

And with this attachment type, it can't fail, a friend of my father, has a spiral stair that goes to his attic and all his stair is the same way, made from wood only and all his stairs are attached with the same model of metal corners, i think its a good way, right?

Personally I think the stringers are undersized while some of your posts/columns are oversized and you have no horizontal bracing between posts. I'd suggest leaving stair design to someone who knows what they are doing.

some of your posts/columns are oversized and you have no horizontal bracing between posts.

Can you explain to me what posts/columns means?At what are you reffering to when you say posts/columns?

As for the let that part to someone else, you know, my father is in Germany, he would have done it, he already done many of them, but the thing is, i can't afford to hire someone that can do that, since here in my country its well over 1000 euros to do that, with half of that moneys ill buy the materials and do it myself.. thats why i am asking some advices, as for the stringers, 100mm x 100mm, i called my father and he says they are ok, they don't need to be over 100mm.. maybe at max 120mm x 120mm,

Maybe when you say posts you mean about the big 150mm x 150mm beams? well.. i wanted to put them so big so i am sure that the landings are safe, but i can always take some that are not so big, i just want the idea to be.. at least good, thats why i am asking you guys :)

I will continue to work further and post the "What i think its final" design of it lol

I will not have the final say on whether or not you can build the stairs as they are shown. Your local building department, or whatever it is called where you live, will have to approve the design before you can start construction.

Beams typically run horizontal. Joists run between beams. Posts and columns are vertical structural members. Beams typically attach to posts.

You might want to brush up on your terminology.

Do you have a copy of the building code for where you live?

Edited by ReMark

In my country if you want to build a stair you don't need to be approved for that, i'm living in a house, the stairs will be outside of the house, at a wall, thats why i really really need them.. anyways you don't need to tell me "The final say if its good to build or something" i just want an opinion on how its done, or on how its drawn or how the hell to tell that :lol:

Suit yourself. It must be nice to live in a country where you can build anything you like, in whatever way you like, and not have to follow good engineering/design practices.

I told you what you need. For further information do an online search for "wood stair construction".

The stringers needs to be something like 2x12 on each side or double up 2x8 at each side of the stringers. It depends if they will be notched and if so how much.

In the USA the railing code is guardrail is to be a minimum of 42" in height above the nosing line. Nosing is the front edge of your step. In case you didn't know all ready.

Handrail is at 36" height. Also a 4" sphere can not pass through the "cables/rods/pickets" of the guardrail from 0"-38" and from 38" and above it is a 4 3/8" sphere.

The rule on the steps is a 6" sphere can not pass through the triangle.

At the top of the railing your rail breaks over the top nosing and must be flat for 12", at the bottom the rail must extend 1 tread length past the last nosing.

In the US these are guide lines by the Federal Code, the States may add to it but can not make it less.

Here it is IBC (International Business Code) and IRC for International Residential Code.

Just some info.

Good Luck with the stairs.

I have a feeling that much of what you (Handiman) just said will come across to the OP as "does not compute".

You don't need to be rude, if i do not understand perfectly english, that doesn't make me "Stupid" that i do not understand or something else... I tought you are a better person from my first posts you replied.. it seems i have been mistaken...

Thanks HandiMan for the info, i will try to rebuild the stairs at these parameters!

My point was more about comparing apples (imperial) to oranges (metric). Standards (which you have chosen to ignore) in your country may be different than there are in the U.S. I did not call you stupid.

After you have finished the design and built your stairs please post an image so we can see how the two compare.

Edited by ReMark

I agree with Handiman, the stringers are way undersized. The modeling is good for a beginner in AutoCAD, but the design itself in the real world simply isn't going to work. Finding a website that has specs for building stairs would be a good start. Here's something for those of us who are across the pond: http://inspectapedia.com/Stairs/Stair_Codes.htm

Try and search some stuff that fits the building specs in your country. This will be the resource you will need to start. You'll notice that once you get into designing, there's much more to it than ever meets the eye.

-Tannar :)

Sorry I didn't think to give you metric numbers. You can do the conversion.

Please do not build because I said so, you really need to research your local code.

It might be a relaxed code and you or others can get by with less but if you were to be inspected and it was found less than code you may be required to tear it down.

Building the stairs with stronger material is just safer for you and others.

I all ways try to think of how it will wear and how it would be in a number of years. Say something like that should last 20+ years? Do you want to rebuild in less time.

Again good luck

PS- take advice from tzframpton, look around at other structures like you are building. What did they use and how is it holding up.