How To Add Pipe Catalog To Pressure Pipe Networks?

MillerMG

Designing waterlines and the only type are ductile iron pipes. PVC is what is being used. Is there a way to add a new catalog of pipes? If so, where would I locate these? As always, Thanks for any and all assistance! :D

Miller

Go to your pipe network in Toolspace. Right click and select "Edit Network Properties". Under the layout settings tab, click the edit button next to your network parts list. Go to the "Pipes" tab and right click on the name of your parts list. Select "Add part family" and it should allow you to add "PVC Pipe" to your parts list. Once that is done, right click on the newly added "PVC Pipe" node in the parts list tree and you can add new part sizes as desired. Technically, this just adds parts into your drawing from an existing catalogue, it doesn't make any changes to the catalogue itself. There is a parts catalogue editor, but you shouldn't need it unless you're adding custom pipe sizes (I.E. 8.5" PVC or something kind of off the wall like that).

As for the fire hydrant, I would just make a new structure under the "Structures" tab of the same "Network Parts List" dialogue box. Call it "Fire Hydrant" and then create a new style for the "Fire Hydrant" structure and set the style to contain whatever block you already use for fire hydrants (or download/create a block that you like better).

I know it seems confusing, but it really isn't all that hard once you get the hang of it. Remember, if in doubt right click!

Cheers! :beer:

I greatly appreciate the in-depth instructions to achieve the goal. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in my attempts. The items that you call out that should be there are not. When trying to add items there is nothing for me to select therefore I cannot add anything.

I think this article may help:

http://blog.advancedsolutions.com/2014/04/22/editing-the-parts-catalog-part-1-copying-a-family/

Follow step one and see what parts catalogue your drawing is hooked up to. It should be the default one located here on your computer:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2014\enu\Pipes Catalog\

It should be hooked up to "US-Imperial Pipe Catalogue" for pipes and "US-Imperial Structure Catalogue" for structures. If it still won't let you add PVC after you verify that it is pathed to the correct catalogue, you'll have to follow the instructions in the article to add a PVC part family to your part catalogue. At the bottom of the article, there are links to two other articles with lots of good information about pipe and structure catalogues and how to edit them.

Also, if you do need to edit your catalogues, I strongly recommend storing the custom ones on your company's network somewhere and then setting your company's template to reference the catalogues on the network rather than the ones on user's "C" drives. This will mean that everyone automatically has access to your catalogues in the future and it will make editing the catalogues really simple.

Cheers! :beer: