Unable to apply fillet command to solid

LoudNoise

This is just a learning project for myself, the part came from a google image search. I can apply fillets to some of the edges. Depending on the order in which I do it, I can get different edges while not others. I hit undo until all the fillets were gone as it doesn't look like there is a remove fillet option. I did try to apply a fillet with a radius of 0 to an edge to square it back up, but the software doesn't seem to work like that.

Thoughts on how to make it work. I could create a simpler solid with the same dimensions as the part I want to fillet and with some creative subtracting I could just super impose the fillet radius I want to apply to the part and subtract it.

I see a separate command in the solids editor not sure what that does yet. I tried subtracting a plane to create a break in the model that the software might find less complex. It didn't work. Might work if I gave it a tiny amount of volume. Then it might fillet the smaller piece and I could replace the gap I took out. It's an idea, I don't know if it would work.

The program doesn't seem to like fillets meeting up on different planes. The errors were something like "too complex geometry."

Also can I remove these lines? fr.png They are left over and the back side doesn't have them because I deleted a line. I can't seem to do that for these other sides. I'm not sure at what point I could no longer delete these lines.

Part I'm trying to make

large.jpg

My cad file of the part

without fillet.dwg

Welcome to Cadtutor

It's normal to see the tangential edge (where the flat surface begins to curve) in that visual style, but the line that goes through the hole is because of overlapping geometry and/or inconsistent edges.

As a matter of personal preference, I suggest trying Parallel projection opposed to PERSPECTIVE view (PERSPECTIVE = 0 at the command line) You may find it easier to pan, zoom, and visualize your model.

With regard to FILLET, I never used AutoCAD2007, but there is probably a "chain" option inside the FILLET command that will allow you to apply fillets to multiple adjacent edges at the same time. Having said that, even "chaining" the fillet won't work until the misaligned edges are fixed. Again, I'm not sure what features AutoCAD2007 has, but try CTRL+Click on an existing fillet to select it, then ERASE command should delete the selected fillet

Test.gif

The line where the cylindrical surface blends with the tangent flat surface is an artifact of how the AutoCAD software does its hidden line removal. This is not consistent with standard drafting practice but most AutoCAD users just accept it. The other line you point to along the face of the flat surface is more problematic and hints of sloppy construction. I suggest trying to remodel this portion of the geometry by extruding a 2D shape with 3 straight sides and a perfectly matched arc (R32) side. When applying the fillet commands be sure to do the R6 fillets before the R3 fillets.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't managed to completely clean that line up without leaving a mark in some other part of the model, but I see what you mean.

From the file I uploaded just to detail what I'm getting with the fillets.

screenshot 1.jpg

"Failed to perform blend.

Failure while filleting."

I circled all of the spots I cannot get and the pattern seems to be it cannot intersect another fillet at an angle. It looks like the problem is that it is trying to fillet a fillet at the ends.

I'd probably drop the issue for now unless there is a quick fix for that.

I did multi select those edges, some of them are R3 and some are R6.

screenshot 2.png

I just did it all with R3 to confirm, no problems there.

I couldn't chain edit the entirety of the center piece either.

Edited by LoudNoise
adding picture

You may have to just look at the geometry and envision where blending problems may exist and apply the Fillets in the order that avoids them. In the case of the main part, do the larger fillets first to avoid the blend error when filleting the perimeter edges. Sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error.

Fillet - Chain2.gif

The Lines you have are because the geometry is off, it may have something to do with the fillet as well.

I just inspected one instance and it starts as one but at the bottom when zoomed way in, it is two.

Image is a little dark, but maybe you can see what I'm talking about.

3D lines offset.jpg