Change material property

pattyandme

I am trying to understand how to access the properties within the dynamic block in order to change material for the blocks.

for instance... I have a deck bluster I want to be able to change from several texture options as well as deck material texture options and such.

I have a dynamic block for the bluster so [when I change the material in the block editor now] it changes the materials of all the hundreds of blusters in the drawing.

I have anywhere from 8 to ten options I would like to access without opening the block editor... but can not understand how to use a lookup for it?

When you open the block editor it will change all references to that specific block. If you do not want to change all blocks I would recommend you to create a new block.

I want to change all blocks from outside the editor dynamically, like setting visibility - you don't need to open the editor to change which view you want visible. From what I seen so far there is no action which can change the Materials property from a lookup list.

I would either need to make 8 different blocks and set there visibility indexed to the material choice only changes 1 block at a time or set them on there own layer and change the layer material with a lisp ... this is what I found so far still looking for other answers though. seems like a lot of memory use to add 8 to 10 of each items when I only want to change the material which would be through the block editor to eliminate that and that is what im trying to eliminate...when at a customers home I would like to switch optional material views without having to enter the block editor.

Thinking about it I wont be able to change the property from dynamic's in the block because it will still copy the full block with the array so I need to look for something external to the block to change the property a command tool or something.

Edit the block in place is what I was looking for just didn't know it.

Edited by pattyandme