How to create an angled line from a linear dimension ...

JDCOOK

Hello all,

I need to re-create the attached drawing for some revision I'm doing but I'm having trouble creating it to the exact dimensions. I'm starting at the base of the 'I' going right-to-left and going clockwise from there.

The problem I'm having is that after creating the baseline 24mm long I then can't draw a line that ends 12mm above the baseline. I can draw one that's 12mm long at an angle of 100 (or 80 depending on direction) but this is obviously not correct.

After that I think I can do the rest of it relatively easily it's just this first part that's stumping me, I even went through the whole of my coursework booklet and it doesn't mention anything about drawing lines/angles this way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I have POLAR, OSNAP and DYN ON and am only supposed to be using LINE or POLYLINE (so no coordinates) to construct the letters.

ink.jpg

The line will have a length of 12.1851 (or as the Brits would write it 12,19) and be drawn at an 80 degree angle.

This assumes that 0 degrees is at the 3 o'clock position and the angle is turned counter-clockwise.

80degAngle.JPG

I would not calculate the distance as you're introducing rounding errors, rather draw a few construction lines and use Polar Tracking and the Intersect Osnap.

Polar-Intersection.gif

Cool stuff, and Nestly, I love those animations you guys do. I need to learn that method. As is always with AutoCAD there is more than one way to do something. This may well be for a class which means the instructor directed it to be done a certain way. But my method would be be to just draw the lines as 80° to any comfortable length and then start trimming and/or filleting away until I get what I want.