Proxy objects are ruining my life

Tuck

Not really. But they are a huge pain.

I received a survey from a civil engineer (I'm a landscape architect). All the objects used for trees are proxy entities. I've tried purge, -purge, exporting to several file types, AECTOACAD, EVERYTHING I can think of to get rid of these or explode them to regular blocks or SOMETHING. I've even tried explode and delete. When I do that, it explodes the object, alright, but there is another one underneath it. I explode and/or delete that one, and there's another one underneath it. And so on and so on and so one. It's like there must be hundreds of them on top of each other. Select All, Delete doesn't help. It says it's deleted 1964 objects and there are 1964 more objects there.

In a perfect world, what I would like to do is explode these ******s into regular block, then replace them with my standard tree block. But I don't suppose there's any way to do this, is there? I've spend too much time today (3 deadlines before Christmas!) trying to figure it out for myself. Can anyone suggest something I can do??

I have AutoCAD 2004, 2008, 2010 and 2013.

Get the Object Enablers:

Civil 3D 2013:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-civil-2013-object-enabler.html

Civil 3D 2014:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-civil-2014-object-enabler.html

Civil 3D 2015:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-civil-2015-object-enabler.html

And even the older ones if needed. Once they're installed you should be able to see everything. But I'd still recommend running the ExportToAutoCAD command which blasts the Proxy entities into normal AutoCAD entities.

Gotta love AutoCAD! :)

One word of caution about Object Enablers. After you install them, your AutoCAD will be AEC enabled and every file you save (whether it previously contained any AEC content or not), will now have AEC content added to it, and all your peers will get the AEC notification when opening the files you've saved.

One word of caution about Object Enablers. After you install them, your AutoCAD will be AEC enabled and every file you save (whether it previously contained any AEC content or not), will now have AEC content added to it, and all your peers will get the AEC notification when opening the files you've saved.
Good tip Nestly. Now I'll reiterate myself:

Gotta love AutoCAD!

Haha... :P

Just a slight variation

trees are proxy entities
its not the trees but rather the CIV3d points have a tree block assigned to them for display, you should still have all the blocks inside the dwg. One way to avoid loading the proxy enablers could be to add all the tree blocks by reading the the info from the Civ3d points but very messy workaround.

Not sure if you can use a profile somehow to have proxy on/off

• 8 years later...

It's 2023 and Proxys are still a problem , thing is if i switch them off on my settings it goes away, but if the next person uses true viewer to view the drawing

the object appears on the drawing. I've tried qselect delete method. the object doesnt explode, moving the drawing to a different file isnt an option it gets corrupted . Im just here to ask how does one delete that nonsense