Problem cleaning up drawings

Comatosis

Do you guys know of any particular version of AutoCAD that works best with DXF files? The stuff in the drawings I'm working on come mostly from the client (which I'm sure involves non-AutoCAD software), and my files get to ~10MB in size for no obvious reason. The list of objects that can't be purged is enormous and I'm having trouble getting rid of them.

I've tried WBlocks, purges/audits, etc., but nothing seems to be working. I'm trying to DXFOUT the drawings to purge them then and resave as DWG, but AutoCAD doesn't want to open the DXF files back up, always referencing "incomplete" XRECORD objects that stop the opening process altogether.

Is there a way to circumvent this altogether? Maybe edit the AutoCAD version in the DXF to "fool" the program into ignoring these xrecord objects? The earliest version of AutoCAD that I can open files with is 2013, I believe.

Hopefully what I said here makes some sort of sense. :P

Thanks in advance.

Evidently there's a hotfix that Autodesk released that addresses this issue (basically, a problem with DGN lines from Microstation that bloat filesizes tremendously). I installed the hotfix and the results were amazing. So, no need to mess with DXF files for the time being, it seems.

Thanks

In 2015 there is an addition to the PURGE functionality, which will automagically delete all those .dgn linetypes and other orphaned flotsam.

I think I read on the forum that if you open them with the free 2015 DWG TRUE VIEW, or whatever it is called, that it will take care of them too.