Mirroring surfaces

r1ntse

Problem solved! Disregard the rest of this post.

Dear fellow designers,

We have a shape we'd like to do flow simulations with. It is, however, only surfaces at this point. Also, we've only designed half the shape since it's going to be symmetrical. The mirroring to get the other half of the shape isn't working though. We've found it impossible to select the faces to mirror. We've even tried thickening the surface and then mirroring, to no avail.

We're fairly new to using solidworks, so if someone more experienced could take a look and tell us what's wrong, that be very much appreciated.

Here's the part file:

https://www.mediafire.com/?e34fmtmwky6757u

Thanks in advance,

Jens and Rintse

Edited by r1ntse

• 2 weeks later...

hey, I'm new to SW too but I thought I might give a thought anyway, I presume you drew away from the plane you wanted to mirror off initially not that it matters, anyway even though there is a plane there, try inserting a new plane insert/reference geometry/new plane, and the plane can be references to edge points on your drawing, this might make the mirror recognise the plane. As I said new to SW so might not do anything but seems like it is worth trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just thought I'd add this note as I met a similar problem since my last reply, highlight the mirror surface before you hit the mirror feature and it comes up automatically for you in the mirror face box.