Top Posters In This Topic

• GemmaEBaird

• lrm

• ReMark

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need to give this 'loft' a thickness of 500mm in the direction of the offset

It doesn't seem to want me to upload a dwg though ?

Why could that be ?

I want to put a roof of 500mm thick on this structure

I've made a 'loft' using splines over the structure but it wont et me give it a thickness

01.jpg

Use the offset command to create an offset spline for each of the splines before lofting. Add straight lines or a curve at the ends of the splines to form closed shapes. Be careful to be consistent in the way you construct each section (left to right or top to bottom, etc.). Use REGION to convert each closed profile to a region then use loft.

Is your goal to build a solid sculptured surface of constant thickness that lies along the top of the CLT panels in your drawing? If so I suggest using the splines that form the top edge of the panels as a start. Make certain that they lie on a flat plane then create offset splines as I mentioned earlier and convert the closed shapes to regions then loft to form a solid. The image below shows the 3 regions I used to create the solid shape on the right.

LoftedSplines.JPG

LoftedSplinesRendered.JPG

Edited by lrm

ReMark - I wanted to upload a drawing so you could see what I'm trying to do - is this wrong ?

No, there is nothing wrong with uploading a drawing which is something I believe you have done in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I still cant work this out.

This is the drawing I want to loft. All of the polylines are closed, created on the same plane and created in the same direction ( top right clockwise )

I can't work out what the issue is - I've re-drawn it 3 x now ??

Loft.dwg

GemmaEBaird, it appears that either I was not clear in my instructions or you did not understand them. Your goal should be to build the lofted solid from a series of 2D regions positioned in 3D space. I see no 2D regions in the image you supplied. It looks like you tried to loft a solid by selecting the top of one "rib" and the side of another. The three shapes in the top left corner of my last post are three 2D regions positioned on different planes. Each of the three regions was constructed by creating a single spline. I then used offset to construct another spline offset by a constant distance. Finally, I added a line at each end of the double splines to close off the shape. From this shape I used region and selected the 2 splines and 2 lines. Did you create a region in this manner?

Start by creating at least three regions (not solids) and post the file here.

Good luck. lrm

P.S. I just got your file and will take a look at it.

No - I have done what you have said - the image just includes another layer - you can see the regions in the CAD I just uploaded

OK - Ive done most of it in 'parts' and unioned .... but I cant close the gaps. If you could help that would be AMAZING

A slightly different question too ........ can you 'hide' specific lines like you can in sketchup ?

( cant upload the new drawing - it's too big )

Loft 2.jpg

Edited by GemmaEBaird