acad 2008 ssd

p4free95

Hello everyone,

Moved to an ssd with my old acad 2008 64bit. I locate my whole data on a secondary hard drive. Os: win7 pro 64bit. Hardware: 8gb ram, ssd and hdd, nvidia gt430.

After serveral hours of working fine, im getting fatal error when trying to edit files and then saving them only when they are on my hdd. On my ssd they work fine. Any help?

Thanks

update: now i get the same error with my ssd. FATAL ERROR: Unhandled e06d7363h Exception at fd3a940dh. only on saving / opennig

Edited by p4free95
changes

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• p4free95

• ReMark

• RobDraw

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the error has anything to do with the drive your drawing files or the program is stored on.

Have you tried doing an Internet search on the error message?

When you installed 2008 did you also install all service packs?

I doubt the error has anything to do with the drive your drawing files or the program is stored on.

Have you tried doing an Internet search on the error message?

When you installed 2008 did you also install all service packs?

I did an internet search. Found nothing.. Just repair by uninstall, which did not solve the problem for anyone.. Im on service pack 0 that seem to be the first one as long as i know. Think an update will solve it? Its a 64bit version on win7

Did you try a REPAIR of the installation before you did an uninstall / reinstall?

Before doing the uninstall / reinstall did you prepare your system as per AutoDesk recommendations as posted at their website?

The first service pack would have been number 1 not 0.

Service pack one for AutoCAD 2008 can be downloaded starting with this link...http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads#?cg=Downloads&p=AutoCAD&doctype=Service%20Packs&sort=score&page=1

What do you mean by "Think an update will solve it"?

Is this a 32-bit version of AutoCAD 2008 that you are running?

Are you using xrefs?

Are you using any non-AutoCAD fonts?

Something for you to read from the makers of Longbow re: Save or File open crashes. http://blog.longbowsoftware.com/autocad-file-save-or-file-open-crash/

Have not tried repair, my system was prepeaed by autodesk recommendation, although my os is not officaly supported. I cant install properly xp on an ssd because of trim command, and really hate vista. I asked if installing the sp for acad will solve my problem. im affraid to do it because my workspace setting, that are much different from the default. Im running a fully 64bit version of autocad 2008 on a 64bit machine. I have to use this specific version on win7

Yes, I know 2008 is not officially supported on Windows 7.

I did not say anything about changing your OS.

I doubt very much that TRIM (computing) would prevent the installation of the program on a ssd.

Installing available service packs should always be standard operating procedure for anyone who deals with AutoCAD. Why wouldn't you install a service pack?

I have no idea what you are referring to regarding your workspace settings. They should have no bearing on whether or not AutoCAD will function properly.

Edited by ReMark
TRIM - not referring to AutoCAD command here

Yes, I know 2008 is not officially supported on Windows 7.

I did not say anything about changing your OS.

I doubt very much that the TRIM command would prevent the installation of the program on a ssd.

Installing available service packs should always be standard operating procedure for anyone who deals with AutoCAD. Why wouldn't you install a service pack?

I have no idea what you are referring to regarding your workspace settings. They should have no bearing on whether or not AutoCAD will function properly.

First of all i got to say thanks. Secondly, without trim the ssd will become much much slower than it suppose to be because the os makes a lot of trash that eventually the ssd controller have to deal with. Ok i will install the newest serive pack and update if it solve my problem. The real question is how? Their is an update section or what?

Be careful about using AutoCAD terms to describe something non-AutoCAD. It only leads to confusion.

FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

I'm wondering if this "trimming" is the source of the error. Some registry cleaners wreak havoc on AutoCAD. This has the same earmarks. I would look for any compatibility issues with "Trimming" an SSD with AutoCAD installed.

There are numerous users running AutoCAD on ssd's and saving their drawings to a standard platter drive yet your thread is the first I've come across that mentions a problem with TRIM (computing) as regards deleting of blocks of data and formats.

I cannot tell you if installing the service pack will fix the problem you are experiencing but I always recommend installing service packs when people reinstall their AutoCAD software. It just makes sense to do so as service packs address problems discovered since the initial release of the program. Why anyone would purposely abstain from installing a service pack or a hot fix (if applicable) is beyond me. There is no rational explanation in my opinion.

How to install a service pack? They typically are .EXE files that one downloads to one's computer. As a matter of procedure I temporarily disable my anti-virus program, shut down any programs running in the background (ex. - browser) and create a RESTORE point before proceeding. Then double-click on the .EXE file and it self installs. That's what you do too right?

From tested.com comes this....

TRIM and Garbage Collection: Unlike mechanical drives, SSDs don’t need to be defragmented--and in fact, they shouldn’t be. But if they fill up with data they can still run more slowly than they did when they were new, because of the way data is written to NAND flash. This was a big problem with early SSDs, as performance would decrease dramatically over time, but modern SSDs use garbage collection algorithms to clean up the drive during idle time.

Any modern SSD will have support for TRIM, a command set which is built into Windows 7 and up. This command tells the SSD’s onboard garbage collection which sectors have been deleted in at the OS level, allowing them to be removed during drive idle times. Windows 7 and 8 automatically detect when an SSD is present and enable TRIM while disabling other hard-drive-specific commands such as prefetching and defragmentation.

There are numerous users running AutoCAD on ssd's and saving their drawings to a standard platter drive yet your thread is the first I've come across that mentions a problem with TRIM (computing) as regards deleting of blocks of data and formats.

I cannot tell you if installing the service pack will fix the problem you are experiencing but I always recommend installing service packs when people reinstall their AutoCAD software. It just makes sense to do so as service packs address problems discovered since the initial release of the program. Why anyone would purposely abstain from installing a service pack or a hot fix (if applicable) is beyond me. There is no rational explanation in my opinion.

How to install a service pack? They typically are .EXE files that one downloads to one's computer. As a matter of procedure I temporarily disable my anti-virus program, shut down any programs running in the background (ex. - browser) and create a RESTORE point before proceeding. Then double-click on the .EXE file and it self installs. That's what you do too right?

The question was not how to open an exe, the question was how to get the exe file for updating the sof****e in the first place. This is an outdated 2008 product. And please be nice i dont like your cynical tone. I came for help not for being a joke.. - "thats what you do too right?". Look, i have a problem that HAVE to be solved, funny or not, and the the autocad guys do not support 2008 product. By the way, windows installer creates a restore point by default. Sorry for being angry, but i dont have computer to work with at the moment.

Try to maintain your cool.

It was a question not an accusation.

I gave you a link to start the process of obtaining the service pack. Follow it.

You should be creating a RESTORE point every time you load new software on your computer in the event something goes wrong. It is just a matter of common sense.

Now the acad is up sp1. The service pack made a change and know im getting error only when pressing save as and save from the file menu itself. Saw an hotfix for my decribed problem, but for acad 2007. Something related to acdb17.dll update. What do you say. Is it time to give up?

ReMark, i saw you came across with this problem on acad 2009 - open close save as hotfix. Maybe you have the answer

Give up? Never.

Where are you currently saving to? The ssd or the platter drive?

Are you getting the same exact error you previously reported?

Believe me, if I had a definitive answer I would post it.

Same old error..while writing both ssd and hdd. It became more clear its a bug. Maybe a deeper search is needed. This cr***y acdb17.dll file most be the key.

Edited by p4free95

If you think it is a problematic .dll file you could always try running the REPAIR option.

A dipper search? Never heard of that.

Have you tried temporarily disabling your anti-virus program and see if the problem persists?

Have you tried resetting your Profile?

Have you tried creating a new folder in the root drive (ex. - C:\MyDwgs) and placing a sample drawing file in there and testing whether save and saveas work?

You are running 2008 in XP compatibility mode are you not?

I would save to the hdd and make sure the path to the folder is correctly listed in AutoCAD > Options > Files and Folders.