Trim Problem

jvanabel

It's still the same problem. At the lower left of the pocket door, there's a gap of 0.000032 between the horizontal line and the vertical line (polyline). As far as I can tell, the reason that gap is there is because the line is not actually vertical, it's angle is 89.99997265, so your wall is not 3.5 wide, rather it's 3.499975 wide at the top, and 3.500058 wide at the bottom. Unfortunately, there's actually a lot of geometry in and around Bedroom#2 that's not perfectly vertical or horizonal, causing your walls to be inconsistent widths.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jvanabel

• nestly

• ReMark

• steven-g

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I totally agree with nestly's assessment of the problem. The lack of accuracy can be a CAD tech's undoing.

Did you ever look into the inconsistencies as regards various objects and the layers they are on as I previously suggested?

It's still the same problem. At the lower left of the pocket door, there's a gap of 0.000032 between the horizontal line and the vertical line (polyline). As far as I can tell, the reason that gap is there is because the line is not actually vertical, it's angle is 89.99997265, so your wall is not 3.5 wide, rather it's 3.499975 wide at the top, and 3.500058 wide at the bottom. Unfortunately, there's actually a lot of geometry in and around Bedroom#2 that's not perfectly vertical or horizonal, causing your walls to be inconsistent widths.

And that combined with the fact that the block for the pocket door is setup to only allow sizes of 3.5 or 5.5 which is stopping the geometry from actually reaching the line that represents the wall. Is this part of a drawing extracted from a larger project that may have been drawn by someome else or maybe had the ucs changed at some point in history , none of the lines I looked at are either horizontal or vertical. It would be interesting to know the drawing history to see how this problem has been caused.

the block is set up for 3.5 or 5.5 wall thicknesses for our industry standards. My big prob now says... I draw a garage that is 40' by 40' and offset my lines 5.5 for exterior wall thickness. Then I offset the inside line 10' for a storage room. All lines are either Line or Polyline but are done with polar on so it snaps to my horizontal or vertical. I have never turned polar off. When I draw the bocks, I do the 3.5 jamb on the door, offset the proper distance, draw the joining lines, move and offset, etc... How and why am I off like this now. This door is old and used to work fine. Plus, when I set my units to the 1/256th accuracy, click on a line, it says that my X axis is start and finish on 199'-1 33/64". It sure does smell like operator error now but I've been doing this the same way for 4 years, why now? On the 'POCKET' door, I deleted the left poly line, offset the other line 3.5, extended it north and it works fine, so the poly line is out of wack. I need to find out two things from this: How it happened so I don't do it again, and How to identify it. I can't even zoom in as far as you three. :/

Plus, 100% of everything on my CADD drawing are drawn by me. We are a small lumber yard that designs, draws, and sells houses, sheds, shops, and ag building. No chance of using garbage from other's drawings because we never have and never will import.

The problem does not appear to be with the blocks, rather almost all the geometry in the drawing is slightly off vertical/horizontal. (however some of the blocks that have an alignment parameter, such as the toilet, are rotated slightly because they're aligned with a wall that's rotated slightly)

It's hard to diagnose what's causing it, but once one object is out of alignment, the problem can propagate through the drawing quickly depending on technique. For instance, if an "outside wall" is not perfectly vertical and you offset it, not only is the inside wall not vertical, if you draw a line between the endpoints of those two lines, that line won't be horizontal. If you snap anything perpendicular or parallel to any of those objects, they similarly won't be orthogonal. Perhaps at some point you keyed in an incorrect value ie 63.52 instead of 63.25.

My suggestion is to turn off all unnecessary OSNAPS (especially NEArest) and change UNITS to decimal with both linear and angular precision at 0.00000000, and leave the Properties Palette open, which will indicate at a glance if a selected line's rotation is not 0.00000000, 90.0000000, 180.0000000 etc. Also, since you're doing architectural work, pretty much all coordinates of all objects will be in increments of 1/8 (0.125) so if a selected line, block, arc, etc has a coordinate in the Properties Palette that isn't a multiple of 0.125, it's probably not drawn correctly. After a little while, you should be able to figure out what's causing the misalignment.

BTW, if you're not able to zoom in close enough to see the gaps, zoom in as far as you can then use the REGEN command, which should allow you to continue zooming in.

Might want to consider enabling Orthomode. It may help with keeping your lines truly horizontal / vertical and eliminate the very, very slight angles you seem to be introducing into your work. Those angles, as you have found out, can result in some unexpected yet wholly avoidable problems. I refer to these types of problems as being OIE (Operator Introduced Errors).

Yeah, Orthomode can help, but it's really not any more effective than Polar IMO. ie Osnaps have precedence over both Ortho and Polar

Never had a problem using orthmode and osnaps. Must take a deliberate effort to mess up or complete inattention to what one is doing. Should never text while doing cad anyway. LoL

Not really, if you attempt to OSNAP to an endpoint to something that's not already orthogonal to the startpoint, it doesn't make a bit of difference whether Ortho is ON or OFF.... the OSNAP wins. Ditto if there are multiple available OSNAP points near the intended endpoint, ORTHO does nothing to ensure that the line is orthogonal, the line will be drawn to the selected OSNAP with no regard for whether Ortho is ON or OFF (same with Polar)

OSnapsOverrideOrtho.gif

Ok, nestly I've regened for ever but did not know about the increased zoom capabilities after regen, THAT by itself is priceless! (things you didn't learn in college) Research and failed memory shows me that this drawing has been rotated some time before. Learned from this ordeal is 1) Regen in efforts to zoom + or - further 2) Switch to decimal to check accuracy, that will show the off angles too 3) Don't text while doing cad. Thank you ReMark, nestly, and Steven-g for your help, you are true assets to the CADD community!

Yeah, if some or all of the object were rotated imprecisely at some point, that could start a cascading chain of inaccuracies.

Regarding REGEN and Zoom, it works both ways. If you zoom in close and then REGEN, sometimes you can't zoom back out far enough until you REGEN again (or use Zoom > Extents)

One thing I always do (especially if drawings come from someone else) is dimension in decimal to 8 decimal points and then when the drawings are ready to be issued I set that back to just show whole units (milllimeters). I think in a lot of cases that I come across, it is that a lot of people leave all their osnaps turned on, or have no idea about osnaps and ortho.