Trim Problem

jvanabel

I am having a problem with my trim and extend... I tried drawing closer to 0,0 and checked my PROJMODE with negative results. I have played with the Fence, Crossing, Project, and Edge commands within TRIM and it is still the same. For example, when I trim the walls/lines from (will call it Object 1), most of the time it trims the walls/lines from Object 1 well past the nearest apparent intersecting line, if not all of the wall/line. This is the same with all lines/block combinations. When I note that the TRIM function isn't functioning, I will extend the line that should have been trimmed to and it will extend right past Object 1 which tells me that they were already touching or intersecting. I have gone as far as setting my units to the 264th precision to ensure that the start and finish on the X or Y axis are the same, used the ALIGN command, etc to ensure everything is parallel and/or perpendicular which they are. These are old blocks, and this whole process used to work like butter! Any thoughts? :unsure:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jvanabel

• nestly

• ReMark

• steven-g

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All of my everything is set to a Z of "0" with no thickness. Always has been. I keep it true 2D. I'm not following you in the Drawing File request... ?

Attach one of the drawings you are working with that exhibits this strange "trimming" problem to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it. An drawing file (DWG) is worth a thousand posts.

I posted a reply to the other thread you had asked the question in. It does sound like an issue involoving Z values and the UCS, so as ReMark suggests, posting a copy of the dwg here along with showing which objects are causing the problem, would help someone to give you a bit more advice.

I've encountered no problems trimming or extending lines so far. Can you pinpoint a particular problem area in the drawing you provided?

Suggestion: might want to check the layers some of your objects are on.

pocket door that is vertical. When I TRIM, I click and drag across the operating part of the door that I wish to trim walls and it takes the entire left wall but trims the right side just fine.

I copied and pasted that wing of the house to show, saved it as above titled, saved it, just opened it and it is still doing it on both drawings.

Can you be more specific about where the problem is occurring in the drawing. At first glance, I don't see anything that's unusual about the drawing, or about the way TRIM/EXTEND are working in the drawing. Since you mentioned Blocks, the only idea I have at this time is maybe you're selecting a random point on a block and expecting it to trim cleanly to any portion of the block, which is not how it works... you still have to select the individual cutting edges inside the block (see below)

jvanabel trim.gif

I type TR then hit the spacebar, then spacebar again in order to "Select All" then I click the portion of line that I want trimmed out. Been doing it this way for 4 years.

here is another problem I have on that drawing... go to the stairs, the flight without the 'UP' arrow, far left stair tread. Delete it. Now, the small section of wall that was under it, extend it south. Did it shoot right past the perpendicular wall/line below? Mine did. Now, extend that perpendicular wall/line to the left past the line you just extended. If it goes past it, that means they are joined or touching, which means why didn't the first extended line coming down stop at that perpendicular line?

I believe the problem is that your geometry does not actually intersect precisely. You mentioned that you increased your precision to the highest Architectural unit, but that's not enough to detect small inconsistencies. Using the leftside pocket door as and example, since there is no physical intersection on the lower side, and EDGEMODE=0, the inside wall cannot be trimmed to the lower side of the door until the inconsistency is corrected

jvanabel trim3.gif

Thank you but that isn't the problem, I would have caught that one. I'm trying to solve the TRIM problem on the left vertical pocket door and on the bottom far left stair tread. Your assistance AND THE VIDEOS are priceless!!

I just tried duplicating what you are doing in this video and after I select the two vertical green door jambs, then enter, then click the bottom wall/line and it takes it out from the right jamb all the way to the left... past the other jamb... :(

From what I can tell, the reason TRIM is removing the entire wall is because there is no actual intersection between the horizontal line representing the lower edge of the door and the vertical line representing the inside wall. (the gap is approx. 0.00018 )

jvanabel trim4.gif