rendering issue

Karaibrahim

Trying? So no materials have been applied yet. I see. In that case there isn't anything to render yet.

I'd fix my geometry first then worry about applying materials. Are the shelves or the posts going to be notched?

Are you going to be placing any lights and/or adding a background?

Right, both notched. However, something else is the matter at this time. Before I was able to select a piece of material and select an object in conceptual view. Then in the Render tab, I could hit the 'Materials/textures on' option but with no result.

Now, I am not even able to select any materials whatsoever. This is probably a settings issue of some sort? Here is the updated file and a print screen of what I am getting now when I click on any of the materials.

Gramophone_05Jan2015.dwg

PrtScrn.jpg

Looks like you have loaded the material already so there is no need to do so again. Now you must apply the material. Materials can be dragged and dropped, applied to an object (ex. - shelf) or attached to a layer.

Right, both notched. However, something else is the matter at this time. Before I was able to select a piece of material and select an object in conceptual view. Then in the Render tab, I could hit the 'Materials/textures on' option but with no result.

Now, I am not even able to select any materials whatsoever. This is probably a settings issue of some sort? Here is the updated file and a print screen of what I am getting now when I click on any of the materials.

These materials are simply "shortcuts" from the Tool Palette. Type RMAT will bring up the actual Material Editor. Also note that you don't have to keep clicking each material on the Tool Palette to apply the material to the object. Once it exists in the drawing, it's always present. You can apply the material via the Dropdown Selector by simply selecting any object and looking under Properties > Material.

Here is a quick render result of your file:

shelf.jpg

Thank you both very much! Would you please guide me to some fine tutorials on applying materials and lighting that are on the net?

@ tzframpton - kudos for the render, it looks great; it is a bit much, but could you please share the background and lighting settings that you used for it? Very much appreciated!

If you read post #15 in this recent thread, there is a ZIP file for download that has the same method I used on your file:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?89499-Rendering-with-Autocad&p=618198

I can't account for tutorials, most of my knowledge was self taught and digging deep in the Help file. Reading up on the Mental Ray rendering engine helped a ton too.