symbols in legend disappering

I imported a table that had all the descriptions of my parts into my drawing and inserted blocks in cells that I had added on for my symbols. Everything was fine even after I saved the drawing then when I switched tabs to another layout to make a change and then switched back my blocks had disappeared. I reinserted my blocks and saved then converted to a PDF. So I have my legend with my blocks on it on the PDF but once again the blocks in the dwg file are gone. Not sure why this happens anybody have this happen before?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ski_Me

• RobDraw

• ReMark

• adrath

I cant upload to the forum. This has been an issue for some time. Think it might be a file size issue but not sure. Anyway it's really kinda simple I think. I import a table from excel, add cells on to the end of the table for my symbols, insert the symbols. Then if I save and go to a different tab or close the file then open and go back to that tab the symbols are gone. The table is placed in paperspace but I don't know that makes a difference. I can dwg files be inserted in a table while in excel? Will have to try that.

Ok you can insert autocad drawings into a excel sheet but it takes some setting up and forward thinking. Maybe that's the answer don't know yet will have to experiment when I have time.

No the blocks are not annotative I made just for use in a legend. I'm not sure if they are being hidden by the table but I haven't checked for that yet.

Alright it's not a display issue and the blocks are not being hidden by the table they are gone. I did notice that the cells that I added on to the table after it was x-refed still have the symbols I inserted into the cells. The part of the table that's x-refed is what is having issues. It could be that the referenced file cannot save what is being inserted into the cells that are brought into the drawing so the blocks disappear. Not sure how Auto CAD handles x-refs when the page they are inserted on is not active if they are inserted in paperspace. Once I have time I can x-ref the table in to model space and see how it behaves.

I played with the table for awhile and discovered the feature where you can upload changes to the source file but I think it only works if your changing text not if your adding blocks. So my solution will be to not add the cells while in excel but after I link the table. It's the easiest and fasted way to fix this issue.

Technically, tables are not XREFs. You cannot XREF an Excel file. Tables are a different animal altogether. They could be XREFd in from another .dwg but they cannot be XREFd directly.

That is unless I missed something in your explanation.

To AutoCAD any thing that is brought into the drawing from an outside source it is an xref. Doesn't matter if it's a drawing or not anything that is a source file for any data be it just text or a drawing is handled as a xref by AutoCAD. Depending on what kind of source file it is determines how AutoCAD handles it. In this case it is a excel file which means I can make changes to the file in AutoCAD then save those changes back to the source file only problem is the default path in AutoCAD is not the same location you may have your source file stored in. Try it for yourself, data link a table to your drawing then check your xrefs you will see it there.

Depends on how the object is brought into AutoCAD in the first place. If you insert, using PasteSpec, an Excel spreadsheet into an AutoCAD drawing it is not a xref. It is an OLE object.

We are talking semantics here, but for the sake of clarity, I would not call a table an XREF. Yes, it shows up in the XREF pallet list but you can't do much with it there. Again, I would not use "XREF" to refer to a table as it can only serve to confuse people.

Xref does indeed mean "eXternal REFerence", but in AutoCAD speak, the term usually refers to referenced drawings, other referenced items are usually identified specifically, such as, Attached Images, OLE objects, etc.

If you desire to solve the problem, you need to post a drawing file.

Why exactly can't you post drawing to the Forum?

Xref does indeed mean "eXternal REFerence", but in AutoCAD speak, the term usually refers to referenced drawings, other referenced items are usually identified specifically, such as, Attached Images, OLE objects, etc.

If you desire to solve the problem, you need to post a drawing file.

Why exactly can't you post drawing to the Forum?

I don't know why I cant post a drawing to the Forum I've tried and tried but when I click upload all I get is the spinny thing that says the computer is working. Then after about 10mins or so it quits with no file uploaded.

There is some funkiness with visibility going on in that file. I'm not sure if it's because I don't have the excel file, but the table turns not visible after selecting it. In fact the entire layout, disappeared at one point.