Error: cannot offset that object

junehe

Hi Guys, I am trying to offset a very simple Spline I just drew. But there is error saying " cannot offset that object". I am using autoCAD 2015. Please help me with this. I am very frustrated because there is a project due soon. Thank you so much!

Without seeing the drawing it is difficult to say what the problem may be. Attach a drawing to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it.

There are several things that will cause AutoCAD not to offset, but usually it involves offsetting at a distance that would cause a negative measurement at some point, sometimes caused by 0 or near 0 segment length somewhere.

As mentioned, just post a drawing containing the object and it hopefully will be solved.

The most frequent cause for AutoCAD failing to generate an offset spline is if there is an instantaneous radius of curvature in the spline that is much smaller than the offset distance. In other words, if you were to roll a disc of a radius equal to the offset distance along the spline and it could not roll into an area because the spline's local radius is smaller than the disc's then AutoCAD will not generate the offset. AutoCAD will handle some some of these cases producing two separate offset curves. If the spline does not lie on a 2D plane it can also cause a problem. AUtoCAD will create offsets for self-crossing splines in certain cases.

Offset.JPG